Monday, January 5, 2009

January 5....photo a day.....

Must have been breezy.... the gusts blew dozens, if not hundreds of cones off the neighbour's tree. It hangs well over the fence and I get most, if not all, of the cones, that fall off that darn, dirty tree. The wind must come from the north more than somebody knows... .. "they" say we get westerlies as a rule... We prune the 20 ft. branches from time to time when they droop down onto the top of our garden shed.... or when they totally block any sun on my garden area near the fence, or when I scrape my face on the prickly needles (and I'm pretty short so they are drooping quite a bit by then) ... . I've given up trying to grow much except the hardiest of plants in that area.... ...as they don't water either...so, I'm sure that parched tree is sending all it's roots under the fence to our yard for a drink, poor thing. Also the reason for the millions of cones it is producing...it is suffering....











okay...here is the reason a lot of Canadians don't BBQ much in the winter.... but, we do clean off the snow and when the days are warm enough so you don't freeze off important anatomical appendages.... we occasionally toss on a steak, some chicken or a 'burger...... even here.
















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that was for my photo a day group.....

and, now.... for me.... this is basically the first day of the New Year... because it is the first day back at work for Mr. BV....which means my day is my own and I can get back (or, try to get back) to some sort of routine. Which is no routine at all really, but, I do get some "stuff" accomplished, whereas when he is home...I just can't seem to get on with much.

We are down to the last slices of bread... and I refuse to buy bread now that I know how (and love to bake) my own. 'Tis one of my new accomplishments... and... may I just add here that it is totally due to blogging. Thank you Lewis and Susan. I should call this post Realizations...never mind Resolutions. I don't really make resolutions...but, during the holidays and heading into the New Year..I got to thinking about how blogging has been so much fun as well as useful and rewarding. I have learned a lot. It could probably be a whole blog entry.. if I could remember it all.....











so.... bread on the counter.... second load of laundry on the go.... vacuum at the ready...oh, yeh...and mustn't forget to jump on the treadmill soon.... Mr. BV is only going to work sensible hours this year (that's his resolution... evrybody who knows him is laughing.. we'll see how it works out).. . so I want to be done with all of that by the time he shows up or it won't get done. We are both on our 5th day of the new workout regime.... can't stop now.... oh, and better toss in something for supper too...arrrgghhhh...guess it won't all get done today. Oh, well...always tomorrow..... no schedule to stick to ...aha...see?? ... that's a good thing!

15 comments:

sandy said...

Well I started out freezing from looking at your photos but then you warmed me up with your warm baked bread. Fun post to read, now get on that treadmill...that is, if you ate both of those loaves.

Anonymous said...

Go you for sticking to the workout schedule!! :)

Your bread looks delicious! I have been wanting to try to bake bread from scratch for awhile now and your post is really making me want to give it a go!

:) Diana

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Brrrrr...so much snow! You are a hardy soul to stand such weather!

Sending good thoughts to that poor pine tree...

Guzzisue said...

hey. we had snow today! about 20 flakes in all:-(

Linda Fleming said...

Those pine trees are messy, aren't they? One of the reasons I have never wanted one in my yard.

Mike went back to work today, too. it was nice having him home, but it is also nice to get back into my normal routine.

Way to go on your new workout program. Wish I could get motivated.

MaryO said...

I can almost get a whiff of that fresh baked bread....fabulous! But you are much braver up there than we are down here in Maryland..grilling in the winter time.

Serena Lewis said...

Goodness, that's a lot of pine cones...we get A LOT of leaves blowing into our yard from the bushland behind.

I understand about routine as mine is out of whack with having my son home on school holidays til the end of January. It's nice having him home and, in some ways, it's nice to break from regular routine.

That baked bread looks absolutely delicious! Clever YOU!

I've read that it takes 21 days to form a habit so, keep up the treadmill, as you are already well on the way. Well done ~ :)

Anonymous said...

I am the strange one out of the bunch I guess because I don't mind pinecones, our nieghbors tree keeps us in an abundance of them also. That bread looks delicious!

Mike Fleming said...

The smell of fresh baked bread and then the taste of it when it is still warm, I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Draffin Bears said...

Good on you for keeping at your workout.
I am doing the same - have workout videos that I do at home and feel like I have so much more energy.
Just find it hard to get started sometimes! Good luck

Your bread looks so yummy - the smell of cooking bread wafting around the house, is the most amazing thing. droool!

Hugs Carolyn

Barbara said...

that is a lot of snow on the BBQ, my Weber just died after 10 years and I had to buy one today. I use it all the time more than my oven here in the desert. I would sure miss it if I couldn't use it in winter. The bread looks to good, darn this is making me gain just looking at them

Serena Lewis said...

Ooooops, I meant to answer your question about the Grevillea flower I posted. No, it's not a Bottlebrush....the bottlebrush belongs to the Callistemon family of Australian natives. :)

HElen said...

I can smell this bread here, looks so yoummy, delisious!

May be you can create something out of those cones?

Jennifer Rose said...

hubby loves baking bread, and it tastes so much better when you bake it rather then buy it.

We wish we had a BBQ :) Doesn't get cold enough here so we could use it all year. Used the one that was on dad's porch all the time. so much better then cooking inside a warm kitchen

Bear said...

oh girl
you can have BBQing in THAT weather I wouldnt put my nose outside the door for anything LOL
but your bread looks so good I ish I was there to help you eat it and then we would both need to do some walking on the treadmill!
love n hugs bear xoxoxooxo