Thursday, January 22, 2009

January 22....a photo a day....

No blue sky today...it is white and laden with snow. Temperatures plummeted overnight to -14C and with the almost 40kph. wind ...the wind chill makes it feel like -26C ...











It's time for big sweaters, toques, mitts and boots again. These are the days when I put my camisole on backwards and mean to. That way at least the neckline is higher in the front instead of low enough to see cleavage. I still can't figure out why anybody designs winter, or at least, "warmer" wear, to look sexy... who is going to see decolletage when you are bundled up like Nanook of the North? Then I put on a turtle neck long sleeve shirt..a big sweater and a ski jacket with a zip in liner, scarf across my chest, toque, mitts and I'm ready to stagger out to the van.
Even then, I carry extra winter mitts, another hat that zips to my jacket and huge Sorel boots in the vehicle.... ... just in case. So what if I'm just going across town? If you get into a collision or have to stop for one, or for any other reason, or if traffic comes to a halt.... you better be prepared to stand around outside or have to walk a distance in minus double digits. Most people aren't prepared because they don't think of those things happening in a short distance I suppose... and sure enough..today I saw a young one..in just a light jacket..low cut t-shirt, tight, thin pants and no head gear...hair whipping around in the wind, hopping up and down with her hands over her ears and freaking out because something happened with her car. Sigh... how do any of them make it past their teens? I prefer to be the funny one waddling around looking like the Stay Puft marshmallow...but... at least I'm a toasty marshmallow....











Visibility was pretty poor... that is a cement truck at the lights in the not too distant roadway... snow was swirling and snaking across the pavement.... the wind was strong enough it was rocking the van. The only really good thing?...hardly anybody else was on the roads. Got my errands run and made it home by 10:30... now... I'm going to hunker down and bake bread, exercise and feel thankful for a nice warm house.











Just getting out on the bad roads in the immediate neighbourhood and making a delivery to a small subdivision that was even worse was physically demanding! It felt like I was driving on rock wheels... reminiscent of Fred Flintstone ... cachunk!! thunk! .... with every turn of the tires I thought I was going to wreck myself.. bouncing and banging along on the icy ruts... ridiculous. Other drivers doing the same... laughing or wincing as you see their faces on the slow drive by... lol....we're all nuts. It was almost as much fun as some of the wicked areas of the Iditarod ..... well, not quite..but, I do tend to fantasize sometimes...











I was out of the car for 3 minutes and already the blowing snow was accumulating on the windshield...

10 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

OMG, Vee, I LOVE your sense of humour! I refused to drive on the ice covered roads in Wyoming....my Aussie heart just couldn't cope with the skidding and worrying about losing control. I left the driving to my then-husband who was American and used to the stuff but I still panicked like crazy...particularly taking the corners when the Durango would start to slide a little as it went bumping over the ice. I was totally amazed at how people managed to drive down icy slopes...on a wing and a prayer, maybe. lol I take my hat off to you snow dwellers.

Staying indoors eating homemade bread is definitely where I would rather be. :)

Linda Fleming said...

You are so funny, Vee! I love you! LOL!

I will not complain anymore about our cold spell after reading this entry and seeing those frigid looking photos. I'm glad you are back home warm and safe. Oh by the way- I discovered this week that in a pinch, socks make good mittens ;)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I...can't...even...imagine...living...or...driving...in...your...climate!!! But I am very appreciative of these pictures and descriptions of life in the northern latitudes!

Anonymous said...

I don't drive in the winter snow, I am a whimp. I use to when I was younger but now i just let my hubby do it, funny story!!

Jennifer Rose said...

brrr I'd just spend all day in bed under the covers brrr

JudiA said...

Everyone knows that toasted marchmallows are the best kind, LOL! I hope that poor girl got into the warm before something froze. I hope YOU got into the warm too!

sandy said...

Ha..enjoyed your post but darn it, I'm getting cold with all of you showing your snow in your parts of the country. I need a warm bath!!

Draffin Bears said...

My that looks so cold and you really would have to wrap up warm,when you go out in all that snow.

I also want to tag you and ask you to post 6 random things about yourself.
The rules are on my blog if you choose to play.

Hugs
Carolyn

Pauline said...

Brrrrr!! I don't envy you at all, looks pretty till you have to go out in it! Keep warm and think of the summer that will come soon.

Pauline

HElen said...

It is cold, and a snow on a top of it, yuck...I hope you keep warm and hopefully it will get warmer soon, at least for a bit :) We have a sun shinning today, still cold but at least bright :)