Sunday, January 25, 2009

January 25....a photo a day....

"Field trip" !! Yes, some people say road trip...but, guys in the oil and gas sector say field trip. Because they are actually going out to fields. Oil and gas plants smack dab in the middle of absolutely nowhere...with miles and miles of fields as far as the eye can see. Sometimes the city boys from the engineering firms go out to make measurements or do photo shoots to see what is actually there... for doing what they call "as built" drawings...and info gathering for new design work.. or up-dating older drawings... etc...
So.. there's the background. This morning Mr. BV said... "hey, the sun is shining..let's take a field trip"; we can get some photos for your blog entry... outside the yard". I grabbed my camera... a little baggie of crackers and we were off....











head out on the highway.....

looking for adventure......











Rocky mountains in the distance.....














We drove out about 50 miles to Elbow River Falls...











looking to the right from our vantage point... full size trees not just little shrubbies like they look......














looking down the gorge to our left....











straight across from us was a huge cave area... it is always difficult to gauge the scope of size with small camera... but again, look at the full size trees on the top of the snowy area...














looking back at the actual falls from a second vantage point along a small trail














...the ice built up from the sprays of tumbling waters...











again... difficult to gauge the size unless there is a reference point. That ledge doesn't look like it...but is a long way this side of the falls. Oh, look a reference point showed up. This guy! He was taking his life in his hands...clambering way out there on that rock ledge... once he actually slid and fell on his ass....oh, I was ready with my finger on the trigger...because I thought for sure he was a goner. I almost had one of him plunging into the freezing water.

15 comments:

HElen said...

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! Beautiful photos, beautiful views!

Sandy..... said...

How fun~! I grew up taking fields trips and spontaneous vactations, as a kid and love those long weekends now. My hubby and 11 yr old son aren't much into the idea and arent good "travlers". I miss it.

Mike Fleming said...

Great photos, what a magnificent place.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...what gorgeous scenery you have!? I can't believe that guy was so close to the edge of that cliff...good thing he didn't fall in!

Linda Fleming said...

Absolutely gorgeous scenery and photos, Vee. How thoughtless of that guy not to fall for the sake of a great photo! LOL! Now that would have been priceless!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

What a gorgeous "field" trip!

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Stunning scenery! It looks a bit chilly!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hi Veroncia,So glad to hear from you .The pictures are amazing.What beautiful country.I love water falls and caves.And I love road trips.I just have not been able to get anything posted for awhile.I guess I still have the holiday drags.Now I'm gearing up for Mardi Gra.One of my favorite times.Hugs Marie Antionette

Susan said...

Gorgeous !!! and how fun that you and Mr BV had a wee road trip - nothing more fun (I think) than a road trip. And hey ! that's very sweet that you've been trying to find me a dog lovin', spider lovin', coyote lovin' (etc) Hand-i-est, smart-as Rex, kind-as-kind-can-be ... man. Good luck with that, it's a needle in the haystack - no question.

love from les Gang & me Susan

MaryO said...

Beautiful area you live in! I'm glad the fellow didn't fall in, but that would have been an incredible photo, sure to get you a staff job on the local paper or TV channel!

JudiA said...

Oh my, oh my... what a gorgeous corner of the world you live in. I'm glad you pointed out the scale issue or I would not have been able to see how huge it all was. So beautiful.

sandy said...

Wow....!!! Great photos. Incredible views..

Oh you're like us, we just take out for photo ops and see where we end up. It's so fun...

enjoyed these a lot.

Guzzisue said...

bbrrrrr!!! great photos:-)

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous photos :D i miss seeing the mountains. Such an awe inspiring scene

Serena Lewis said...

These are such BEAUTIFUL photos, Vee! It reminds me so much of the Wyoming winter being surrounded with such beautiful mountain scenery.