Saturday, April 14, 2012

late bloomer ....

My "Christmas Cactus".  This plant is pretty funny.  Every year it blooms before Christmas....  in November actually.  Flowers, of course, are then long gone by Christmas.

What now?.... a single guy appeared several days ago.  As I walked past it I was thinking ..wonder why that little nub just didn't fall off when the others did.  And, why haven't I noticed it earlier?  I almost flicked it off and tossed it into the pot as I usually do with the little bits that never become flowers.

On closer inspection... a live one!

And today??



















Wow.

I crawled right under the coffee table and took one from the underside .... because to me...that looks more like it should be topside.  Best angle to me... what a beauty!















Maybe the snowflakes coaxed it along.....


6 comments:

Terra said...

You captured a beautiful flower that is on its own schedule. Did you know that there are 2 similar plants and one is a Thanksgiving cactus? They are often mislabeled!
My Christmas cactus blooms whenever it wants.

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

Mine just had it's second bloom, the first one came right before Christmas, and now I have a few more flowers again. I am in Arizona, so who knows.

Lin said...

I love that it's doing its own thing! Who cares what time of year it is--it's blooming!! :) Stuff like that makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

We call them Zygocactus here. My father grew a huge one after my mother died. It was always full of orange flowers. He gave us (family) all a piece of it before he died many years ago. I still have it and can't get it to flower. Think I might try and repot it this year in the hope that it does something. Maybe your post is an omen. Sue

Shashi Nayagam said...

I think the snow did confuse it lol. But such a lovely flower.

Buttons the Bear said...

Looks like a lovely Easter bloom! Beautiful! Hope your snow goes away
soon.