Wednesday, July 8, 2020

I've been painting rocks..

Just small ones.

It's a "thing".  People all over the world are painting rocks and putting them in their yards and gardens.  The two little girls up the block have a pretty big collection of theirs out under a big tree...it is pretty colourful
I noticed one of their little signs encouraged people to leave a rock..   Originally the signs read... "take a rock, leave a rock" ...but, I think people just took them and they changed their sign...now it reads, "please don't take our rocks... leave yours for others to enjoy".

Here is their garden of rocks...


I decided to paint them a couple of faces to put in their garden. Here are my first attempts... they are like my dolls.  Seems the only thing I can actually draw or paint is a face.  I used my watercolour pencils .... and sprayed them with several coats of a finish spray ... hopefully it will help them to remain intact.  They do have big tree for some protection from the weather ..so maybe they'll be okay.

I tried a little whimsical cat ... doesn't look like much... and, for somer reason..one night out in a storm and it was almost trashed  ........oh, well ....... 
So then I tried some wild sunflowers...... it was sort of okay... and, then, another girl.
My husband said, why don't you put some of them in our garden?  Hmmm... now why didn't I think of that?  So..I did a few more ...and, now....we have some in our yard too. 


Here they are on a large rock in our yard....I have since moved them to a darker rock..but, haven't taken a new photo yet.... 

and....one more for our garden..... a brown eyed girl....                    















But, then......... Bernie decided he had to paint some rocks too.  Although, after his choice of paintbrush size...... his first words were .... "maybe I need a bigger rock""""    yeh.....right .....good one Bernie...



7 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

That's a cute idea. Something for my granddaughter and her friends to do when they are so bored and have nothing to do ever....sigh :)

Terra said...

Today I was thinking I need a new creative outlet and thought I will paint some rocks and leave them in parks, etc. And here is your post to help me. Now I will investigate watercolor pencils. Where can I get such pretty little rocks? Yours are turning out very cute.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I tried posting a comment yesterday and it didn't take apparently. Just wanted to say that I love the rock paintings. When our garden was on the garden tour several years ago I painted a rock that said 'Please turn me over' on one side and 'thank you' on the other. A number of people throughout the tour did as they were told and had a great laugh before carefully putting to rock back for the next person to find. It was fun!

sandy said...

wow i would love to find one of your rocks! love the eyes.

Twiglet said...

I've just bought some acrylic paint pens to use with Ben. He painted a Minion for his Dad's birthday! I collected some lovely pebbles from the garden so hopefully we can be a little more creative during the summer holiday. I love your faces - you are a clever soul Vee! xx

Lin said...

WOW! Those are some rocks! They are so beautiful! What a treat that would be to stumble upon those on my walks.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Lovely!