Monday, November 10, 2014

Winter has arrived

I hope it's not here to stay for the duration of the wintery months.... like, until spring...which in this part of the world could be, erm... May.....

We usually have plenty of sun though... and, we also usually have lovely warm spells called Chinooks... but, last year it was pretty much from Hallowe'en til .. oh, yeh...... May ....  darn it.  .........I hope this year is not like last year.

My Christmas cactus has bloomed; when is American Thanksgiving?   must be soon.... seeing as it usually blooms about then... so I changed its' name to that instead of Christmas cactus.  It might be finished blooming by next week this year...what the heck? ...

Those are new little ornies I found already.... it's kind of a tradition to buy a few new little things for the tree each year... and, to give away some of the other ones I've enjoyed for years....














The snow began to fall late Saturday night....












By morning the top of the patio wall was chest deep on sparrows... they don't look particularly pleased do they?
                                                                               





                                                                                 





They had a look at the bird bath.... hmmmm... the snow was beginning fill it as well... the water is frozen solid of course..... no bathing today guys!

I'm not sure they believed me.














They went away and didn't even bother looking at the feeder for seeds.  Hmmm.... weird.

I thought they would be hanging around all day til it was empty and then...beg for more.

The snow continued throughout the whole day yesterday .....

Cupid disappeared ...............

Definitely no bathing today guys........ but, did you notice the thermostatically heated bird water I put out? ...it's over in the patio .... come on back..........!!!  Not for swimming mind you...but, how 'bout a drink? ....

Awww... come on............ I paid good money for that thing....


7 comments:

Grandma C said...

Aww you just made my day with your cute birdies in snow. Beautiful winter shots!!! It is amazing how fast the snow covers things.

Lin said...

Snow?! Ugh. I'm not ready.

I'm going to try a heated bird bath this year too. Last winter was hard a few birdies fell into the pond. :(

Unknown said...

Here we are with the A/C going! Looks like Christmas has come early for you there Vee. Nice to see you again. have a great weekend there. Hugs Sue xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I always feel so sorry for the little birdies when the snow is so deep and it's so cold. How do they survive? Such amazing little creatures.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I always feel so sorry for the little birdies when the snow is so deep and it's so cold. How do they survive? Such amazing little creatures.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Snow oh it's early isn't it? But I am of course forgetting that you live in that part of the world where it may not be early. We are still having fairly warm weather. I want it to be clear here at least as we are having our drives and garden paths and pond redone and I want it finished before Christmas. Hope the weather will hold.

Anonymous said...

Our (American) Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday of November. I had an Easter cactus at one time, it bloomed in spring. My Christmas cactus would get buds, but they'd fall off before opening. I gave it to my mom, who sat it atop the washer in front of the window and that thing bloomed like crazy for her.