Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Valentine's Day gift

It was an amazing day.  I opened the door to the postal guy who was delivering a package....along with special encouragement and generosity from a fellow blogger, needle felter, artist extraordinaire and friend.

Remember me saying I wanted to make my own Snowdrop?  Just like Gretel makes..?  Well, of course, it would be pretty well impossible to make a twin of anything she makes because she has a special knack and plenty of talent and ... hahaha.... a much healthier, working arm/hand..etc.... .... ...but I so wanted to try one.  Beginning slowly due to this silly arm business.... I did make a start ... but, then had some questions....especially about the type of wool...

This is mine that I was using and I have used it for several little bears of course..but, the finished surface will never be very smooth when the wool is kind of rough textured like this, and  ...well, ...almost kinky by comparison ....  but mostly I put on some extra 'fur' after making the little shapes for my bears anyway...so it doesn't really matter with them, does it?











However, her Snowdrop looked so smooth to me...I was sure I needed something different for wools...so I asked.... and she explained how different her wool is compared to my rough stuff.  And, then...she sent me some lovely soft Snowdrop wool ... (I could hardly stop caressing it) and a close up picture .. so I have a better chance at playing copycat.  How lucky am I to have a friend like that?
Look at the difference in the texture of the two wools.















And, this says it all.... one of her amazing whimsical art cards. A special fantasy boat.. swan figurehead and all ...  an intrepid passenger aboard... . Guess what it is called?















 The Hopeful Quest...

It's me sitting there I'm sure .....  .... the intrepid traveller ..  ..on my quest to make my own little Snowdrop.... thanks so much Gretel.....

                                                                 

7 comments:

Gretel said...

Good luck Vee, I'll be cheering you from the sidelines over here! :)

Linda Vincent said...

Oh Vee, Snowdrop is just gorgeous! I can understand why you are inspired...
Beautiful card (and bird) too.

Mary Ann Tate said...

I have some wool like that. I bought it years ago and used it for doll hair. It's very soft. I have never tried needle felting but I have ordered some needles and I'm going to give it a go:)

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh wow you lucky thing such beautiful gifts. Can you see the screen going green?

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Vee,
How is your arm doing?
I am catching up here!I just visited Gretel's blog and she really does amazing work. Her animals are to die for! :)
Good luck my friend and I can't wait to see your creation!
Hugs and I just uploaded some things to my blog.

Jennifer Rose said...

that is really nice of her :D

is the arm feeling any better?

Anne said...

Isn't Gretel just an absolute sweetie!! Good luck with the needlefelting - I hope your arm is ok!!