Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The things you can do with one hand....

...........well, guess what?.............you certainly can do a lot of things with only one hand.

They are mostly the mundane and necessary of things...and they all take at least twice as long to do as they would if you had a second hand ...but can be done.

Loading and unloading the dishwasher, laundry, making a cup of tea, toast (if somebody has cut a slice of bread for me, cuz I can't cut bread without trashing the loaf with my cast trying to hold it down), hunt and peck typing, dressing myself if I wear things I can pull on with one hand...and...I actually managed to wash my own hair yesterday.  Somebody tried to channel his inner hairdresser to help blow it dry, but he was having a bit too much fun for my liking and I had to confiscate the blower...just aimed it at my hair, got it sort of dry and called it good enough.

Flossing is a bitch.  Yes Mr. BV got me some of those little floss wands to use... but how on earth can I get under my bridge at the back of my mouth?  Somebody needs to invent something............ I have been trying not to hurt myself too much struggling to do that one at least every two days.  Hopefully it will not make me yelp out loud soon when I try to use a couple of those fingers.  Surely it will settle down soon.

Fastening a bra is also pretty much impossible....undoing one is easy..not so the other way.  Where are bra-t-shirts?  We used to have bra dresses in the old days....they were good.  Remember those?  I had a couple and I loved them.  Although they did have zippers so I guess that wouldn't work either.  Unless the zippers were in the front..hey!! a bustier might work under a t-shirt.. maybe that's what I should get.

Your good arm shoulder does tire after trying to do too much but your injured arm and hand have already been aching for ages anyway, so it is a good time to stop and lie down with the injured wrist up on a pillow.  It seems to swell a bit every so often too and is very uncomfortable..feels like the cast is squeezing the poor arm from elbow to fingers.

An ice pack on the cast does seem to help a bit.  The coolness goes through I guess.  Add an Ibuprofen and things feel sort of okay in about an hour.

It's time to go do that now......






4 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh Vee i feel sorry for you. Wish I was close by then i could have given you a hand with things. Try not to tire yourself. I know not easy when you are used to keeping yourself busy. But maybe do things with short intervals in between.

Mary Ann Tate said...

I feel for you. I lost the use of my left arm for about 8 months. I was still working in those days so it was really a challenge to do stuff but I did get really good at typing with one hand.

Lin said...

Ugh. What a pain in the neck! We take 2 hands for granted...don't we? I wonder if there are helpful hints online somewhere? I have 2 friends that broke their wrists in the last year, I will have to ask one of them what they did for the bra. That would be the worst part, I think.

And just when you have it mastered, it will be time to get the darn thing off!

Hang tough, Vee!

Lin said...

Hey...I found a couple of helpful videos on YouTube: Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvPxlXxSUi8