Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Wild Bird Wednesday


Made it!  And, I better hurry up... got a golf time in an hour or so...okay... maybe it won't upload to blogger before I leave....sigh...it is still sitting here with an error message saying nothing "published"..arrghhhhh!!!

The other week I was thinking about which bird I could capture next and even though I don't have a huge list to choose from here .... I did think about sneaking up closer on a Flicker.  They keep swooping down onto my neighbour's front yard. He has a big infestation of ants...in his lawn.  Actually...those Flickers were enjoying it all over his front yard, not just at the edge of the sidewalk where they usually dig a lot.

But, then... I noticed some movement just outside my front window the next day...oooh... quick, the camera!!  I got it and crawled closer to the window on my knees... and, both of us stopped dead... he looked at me....I looked at him.... and, snapped this one!

So cute.















He was looking right at me!  A male Northern Flicker...probably still a youngish one... that throat patch doesn't look quite coloured in yet...

After he checked me out and I didn't budge an inch.... he must have figured I was a figment of his imagination and... he continued on with his investigation of my sidewalk area... picking in the crevices and having a great time.













I had to snap about 20 shots to get one of him with his head lifted.  He was so quick...up..down...peck, peck, peck....up, look... down!   Man... my finger got a workout...but, finally got one of him upright... whew.....
Thanks little guy....















Head over to Wild Bird Wednesday to see some amazing birds.  I am always wowed by the colourful ones that inhabit warmer climates.... wish I could see some of those in real life...




15 comments:

Grandma C said...

I sure could use your cute little visitor at my house...I have ants.
He is beautiful! I love the look in his eye as he is looking back at you, so cute. :)

Anonymous said...

What a handsome bird - well done on getting photos of him!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never seen a real flicker, so thank you! We put our bird feeder back up on the weekend and now we have a steady stream of chickadees, mourning doves and blue jays. I love the little chickadees the best.

Maude Lynn said...

That first shot is so cute!

Rohrerbot said...

Love Flickers and love that he was eating up all the ants! One winter, I brought goodies up to the mountain and called to them....and they came in the all the white snow feeding up on peanuts. They make me laugh. Some of the coolest birds out there!

eileeninmd said...

The Flicker is a cool bird. Great sighting and photos. Enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

Now you could be making it all up 'cos I have never heard of a flicker! He is handsome, I Like him!

Twiglet said...

Beautiful bird - looks a bit like a woodpecker. The oystercatcher on your wild bird poster is the bird I was "dumfing" this week. I have added machine embroidery and framed him now! x Jo

A Colorful World said...

That first photo is adorable! You got some really great shots of him overall. Glad he stopped by your place just in time for WBW! :-)

Mike said...

Flickers are great birds, and so handsome. Great shots!

Iowa Voice

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love that first shot, head on.

Stewart M said...

Great pictures - I really like woodpeckers of any kind!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Gwen Buchanan said...

We have Northern Flickers out here too. Great insect eaters!

Lin said...

Ooooh, fun that you got to see him up close! Flickers are very loud birds.

MICKAN from QUEENS FIELD¸.•°`♥✿⊱╮ said...

I really like the colors on the bird.