Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cabbage butterflies...


... they are pretty little things... they like to visit my colourful flowers in the pots.


                                                                         




Wow!!  the middle of August already!  Where has the summer gone?  We had a pretty wet one and now?...really hot.  Yesterday we golfed in +29C .... and today it is supposed to be the same.... not golfing today that's for sure.  Not that I usually golf two days in a row anyway...how do the old farts do it?  Oh, yeh...I am an old fart, I should should know this one.... but, I don't.  Some of them must have a lot more oomph than I have, that's all I can say.

Still doing a bit of stitching here and there .... but, not regularly, and have taken a bit of a break from the wrapping cloth pieces.  I have decided to try my hand at making a little pin cushion...not showing til it is finished though....

However, here is a bit of the stitching I was doing on the wrapping cloth piece.... utility stitches...patching .. and just making things pretty ... we were making little squares but, this time folding the edges over on the working side..  I stitched one onto the hanky corner... added some knots and then thought about tucking one just under the corner ...















Then, I got to thinking it might look cute added on to the first little square on top of the hanky corner instead of underneath it... still deciding....















The lacy edged hanky is one my Mom gave me many years ago... it has been hiding in a drawer ...  as so many beautiful pieces usually do.  Karen's suggestion is...why not use it in our project.  Give it new life and enjoy it .... even if we have to cut it to incorporate it into our creation.  I'm betting my Mom would love the way it fits in with all the other pretty pieces I have gathered and used in my little project.  She was always our biggest cheerleader and supporter no matter what we attempted in our lives....I'm sure she would be thrilled to know I kept my hanky (well, not just this one either, ... ...but, all of them that she gave me over the years) and am now getting to use them like this.  She wouldn't be totally surprised at my keeping them in pristine condition ...that was always my way..... I had dolls and things I never played with...just kept and looked at and enjoyed in their new condition... I was a strange kid....

After I added French knots and a few other stitches to the square ...I turned it over and thought.... gee if I am going to leave it loose... you will see the messy under side... maybe I'll just cover the stitching with a piece of silk to make it look nicely finished ...















and.....so I did.  There now.... nice and tidy underneath as well.  Love and devotion, as Karen would say..... care and attention to detail.... always me anyway....... and, just like Karen, I'm kind of proud of that in me.  Sure, some folks find it strange... but, there you have it.  It's good to like your own quirks and foibles don'tcha think?


5 comments:

Terra said...

What a pretty project using old lace, including some from your mom. Now I will figure out what your temperature is and convert C to F temp.
I am having a book give away today on my blog.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm glad to see that someone else likes cabbage butterflies too. Your white cloth is looking SO pretty!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Vee, you have such a great sense of humour. You had me laughing all the way through.

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...your ots are looking pretty and colourful and it's so lovely to have wildlife visit...and a great way to re-purpose the handkerchief your Mother gave you, all very pretty indeed, I look forward to seeing your finished pin cushion...Mel:)x

Twiglet said...

All so beautiful - there's nothing wrong with your quirks and foibles V!
x Jo