Wednesday, January 23, 2013

no cucumbers were killed in the process..

...but, a large portion of this one WAS totally injured and pretty much wrecked while I was experimenting with how to cut one if a person does not own a mandoline.  BIG note on kitchen table.  Must.Buy.Mandoline.















I used every size, shape and sharpness of knife, including bread knives...no go.... and, fingers were definitely at risk.   Now, I do know that mandolins are dangerous as well if a person isn't careful...I used to own a plastic version and did almost take off the end of a finger...plus, I've seen it often enough on the food channel...yikes!  Some of those people lose a lot of blood when they do silly things in their rush to get done.....

I did manage to get 4 not bad slices using my potato peeler ..but, would need a wider one to get better results...and even then, can only do about that many slices before my nails were being peeled right along with the cuke.

However, my (4 only) cute little tasty roll ups were a hit... Mr. BV scoffed them the minute he saw them, and declared them wonderful.  Now... to get me that mandoline before the dinner party on Saturday.  You would think I never do anything like entertain or have a 'part' in a party....    well, actually, you'd be right ... we never do.  So...yes...it is a big deal. To us.  And, I need to make plenty more than 4....

This is our second annual progressive party with our neighbours.  There will be 5 couples and therefore 5 courses.  I  hope it all goes the same as last year and that we all have just as much fun as we did last year as well... and...the fooooood!!  Ohh... wow! .. everybody really made exceptional effort with the food.....

Here are my cute little dilled cream cheese roll ups with tiny bits of black olive, sun dried tomato and ham... ...




6 comments:

Catherine said...

Well aren't those just the cutest little snacks! Mmmmm... I bet they taste good. Except maybe for the black olives. They always remind me of lego wheels... LOL!

Hope you are keeping warm my friend!
xo Catherine

Judi W. said...

i have one of those cheap plastic mandolins and it sure does the job! your roll ups look fabulous, dahling. Have you cleaned off the table yet :)

Anonymous said...

Just remember to use the bit that holds the veggies, and your fingers will be safe!!

BeadedTail said...

Those turned out pretty dang cute!

Unknown said...

I cut the top of my finger off using a mandolin ... on the day I was giving a party. You know ... rushing and then not using the holder. Thought I'd be ok and then ... ouch! i threw it away and have used a knife ever since. Sue

Shashi Nayagam said...

Looks scrumptious. Hope your party was good