Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WOYWW

I'm just barely getting back to the land of the living... after weeks of bronchitis and serious sinus infection and coughing so hard I've damaged tissue in the breast and rib areas.  I feel hard done by (what a whine hey?) as I never even usually get colds....ever !!..... but, finally I've given up fighting it on my own and am taking antibiotics on the insistence of my doctor.

Two days of that and my gut hates it... nausea....but, I persevere ... as I must.  A big sinus infection has lodged itself and won't be shaken without them it seems.

Today ...I am trying to also get back to WOYWW...(check it out here) and this is the bit of fluff that I did some half hearted playing with yesterday and today.















I began the actual shape weeks ago...before we went off to Portugal....but, am refining it and almost have it where I want it now.  (I hope to get some more Portugal photos on here soon too....) I'm trying to only play for a short time each day to ease my wonky elbow back into things.  Man, what a wreck I am for somebody who bragged how healthy she was and who seemed to think she was pretty amazing....sigh ..... right now I feel crappy.  Yep...that's all I can say about all of it.

Anyway... back to fun and fluff ....















My attempt to make a Gretel Goosie.... with fluff that she actually sent me so that I would have the real stuff instead of the rather stiff and fuzzy stuff I was trying to use.  It just wasn't going to make the same goose at all! This wool is soooo soft.  Thanks again Gretel... hope I can do a good one and make you proud.  I know at the moment it looks a bit more like the Lochness Monster...but, trust me...it'll be better later...... honest......

This is more the size of tiny guys I am used to making ...  hahha... only as big as a beak..... and how do I get that beak smaller...?  I'm stabbing away and it isn't happening... maybe I'll have to try again with a smaller piece of fluff.  Or, maybe I'll try squeezing it a bit and stabbing more and even some on the long angle of the thing...yeh...maybe that'll work.

I've only ever tried tiny bears, hippos and one mouse and erm....what else..? ...... well, that's it really.  Kind of got stuck on bears I guess.  It seems because I am used to making them of fabric...I can get a pretty good little face on a needle felted one too.  Well, I think that's the reason.  I can actually almost 'see' a little head shape taking form before I get too far along at all with the stabbing of the wool puffs.... and I like how they turn out for me.   This is Scruffy.  He actually won an award at a pretty big local fair .... at our Stampede...which is world famous...

















They all begin the same though....huge puffs of varying types of wools.... stabbed thousands of times with a barbed needle til they become the desired shapes.  My pen tool will hold up to 3 needles ...or as few as one.... and gives something better than the skinny tip of the needle to hold onto while working on a piece.















If you'd like to try your hand at needle felting, there is lots of stuff online to check out.. and if you'd like to play WOYWW ... come on... do it.

21 comments:

Terra said...

Dear friend, you have been suffering so much, you are entitled to a bit of a whine. Smile. Would you like some wine with that whine, as they say.
My favorite quote applies to you today "Beloved I pray that you prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." 3 John 2
I am considering trying felting; your bears are so cute.

Gretel said...

Hey, that's looking good Vee! I'd go down to one needle for the beak, it'll be easier to get the shape. I can't believe you work so small on your own designs, I'd get cramp if I worked at that size! A pen holder (or something like that) is a must, holding a needle on its own for a length of time is just bad news for your hand. Oh, and the beak will go down smaller, you just need to work at it - it should be firm to hard when it is finished.
I am very glad to hear you are taking antibiotics, I know where you are coming from in not wanting to take them, but once in a while you should admit defeat and use 'em. I'm really sorry to read that you're still so poorly.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly, I do hope you start to feel better soon [[[hugs]]]. Congratulations on your winning award, Scruffy is just so adorable, he is gorgeous :)

Take care and have a fab WOYWW, Luv Karen xx #91

Laura said...

Your bear is so darling! And so detailed too. It's just occured to me after nearly 20 years collecting bears I do not own a felted bear. I had a go at felting and made up a kit of robins for the christmas tree - they didn't look a whole lot like robins - I guess it is a practice makes perfect thing.

DottyA Cards & Things said...

You do Beautiful Work with the felt or wool... it's just beautiful... so detailed I can't imagin how you do it.... I had to check out your other blog too Tea and Scones I'm going to have to come back and vist some more!!!
Thanks for the kind words and encuragment too!

Twiglet said...

You really do sound to have been suffering - let's hope the antibiotics do the trick. I am sure you will make a great job of little Gretel Goosey - especially as you have top tips from Gretel herself. have a good week. x Jo

Unknown said...

Your work is precious and original. I enjoy looking at your work in progress so much. I am only imagining how you must have coughed to damage body parts!! Please take care. May the healing universe watch over you!! *smiles* Norma

Laura said...

Sorry to hear that you've been so sick; hope the antibiotics are hard at work. Happy Wednesday from #152. :)

Anonymous said...

You are on the 'downhill slide' Vee. Hopefully the antibiotics will help. I found that it takes ages to recover from anything now too. So we have to take good care of ourselves in the first place. Maybe some sunshine in Portugal would help!! Love the goose in the making. You girls are so clever.
Sue

Mary Ann Tate said...

Hello....I got my felting needles but I didn't know about the pen thingy. I of course immediately stabbed my finger just looking at them...typical:) Your little bears are absolutely adorable and I often marvel at how teeny they are...so cute.

I hope you'll be feeling better soon. I have finally stopped coughing. I had to take drugs too but they did work despite the side effects.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

Sorry to hear that you have not been well and sometimes, you do need to go to the Doctor to get better.
Your goose is going to be fabulous and I look forward to seeing him finished. Congratulations on Scruffy winning the Award. woohoo!

Look after yourself, and be well again.
Hugs
Carolyn

bois-fleurie said...

I've just found your blog,I have tried normal felting but will look for some help for needle felting now I.ve seen yours. I also love your doll Serenity,especially her face

CraftygasheadZo said...

Oooh ouch sounds very painful. Glad you're getting better. Fab fluff projects! Take care & enjoy snooping the WOYWW desks, it's now Thursday but I'm still nosing! Zo xx 74

Shashi Nayagam said...

That goose is coming on fine and can't wait to see it completed. Glad that you decided to take the meds. Serious sinus infection does need antibiotics to shift. Been there myself. Heres hoping that you will feel good soon.

Mrs Mac said...

I enjoyed my attempts at needlefelting a few years ago and still have lots of wool tops in different colours. Must have another go. I have so many things- painting, stamping, drawing, crochet, sewing, I try them all for a while then completely forget they're there as I go on to somehting else! At the moment I am sewing onto card.

I hope your infection clears up. I suffered terribly for months with an itchy throat that the doc's said was nothing, despite the painful ears that went with it and the fact that it kept me awake. Only after it had spread to my lungs and made my asthma bad did a locum doc give me anti-biotics. By that stage I needed steroids too. I felt better after a few days- after all those months!

What finally got rid of the itchy 'full' feeling in my throat and ears was a sinus rinse. I bought one from a chemist that came with little sachets of a special salt you mix with warm water. Well the very idea of it makes you gag, but I tell you, using that twice a day for just two days and I was clear.

So, if you get desperate, give that a go! They are quite cheap to buy and it's gross, but it works!!!

My cough and cold returned last week. Not sure if it's the same one or if Luvbug has brought yet another germ h0ome from school! But I started with paracetemol and the sinus rinse, and this got me on top of it again quite quickly.

BTW congrats on your Bear winning a rosette. I think they should also have provided a small rosette for him to wear, too.

Can't wait to see the completed goosie.

ScrappnBee said...

Goodness! Take those meds and feel better soon! Love the winning little bear. He is SO adorable! I am sure that the goose will turn out Fab! Hope that your week ends better than it started.- Amanda x146

voodoo vixen said...

I am sorry you are feeling so rotten, hope the antibiotics do the trick and get rid of the bugs!!
I adore your wee bears... how cute they are!! Annette #22

Eliza said...

What amazing tallent you have your creatures are just devine.

I am sorry to hear you have been unwell, a good brandy or scotch might do the trick. I hope you continue to improve.

Happy crafting
Eliza no 181

Unknown said...

You do beautiful needle felting! I have never tried it, but I want to...oh the time. I am sending healthy vibes your way, it is no fun being too sick to make art! Get better!

SophieNewton said...

sorry to hear you've been not so well, glad you're on the mend. Loving the little bears, too cute for words x
Sophie no.183

Bugged Designs said...

Looks like quite a lot of work you're putting into them, hope it turns out well and that you will soon be feeling better again soon.