Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chocolate and Chili Peppers

The weather has taken a nose dive.... snowy and blowy; winter is back.  Of course, we here in the foothills of the Rockies knew we were just being lulled...it's waaaay too soon to have the balmy days we've had the last while.  They'll come and go for months yet.  But, it's a perfect time to hunker down and enjoy the fireplace, popcorn and a movie.  Oh, and... chocolate cake.... there were a couple of birthdays around here in the last few weeks....


























Mmmmmmm ..... Chocolate Mocha with chocolate mocha icing ... . and I'm so rude and selfish I only invited one person, knowing how far away she is.... sorry Maria...  ...  even licked my plate after the last slice.  But, I could always bake another if she shows..... lol...













okay... that was the chocolate part...now for those fiery little %^&* peppers!  I love 'em, but, people !! take it from me... don't cut one up and then stick a finger in your eye.  Oh, I know, ...we hear about it all the time.  Wash your hands after handling peppers.. yada yada...and, honestly, I did.  How hard do we have to scrub and how many times do I have to be in and out of soapy water to make sure?  It was long enough after I touched the pepper that I forgot all about it...but, then rubbed the corner of my eye cuz it was itchy...and WOWWWW !!  I ki. yi. yipee. yi. eeed all around the kitchen like a cat with it's tail on fire!  I tried to rinse it with water...but, couldn't even open the eye.  It was squinting itself totally shut.  I couldn't even think properly.  I finally remembered hearing that somebody said not to bother with water.. eat a bit of yogurt with the reeeellly hot stuff...so I figured maybe milk might work.  One eye open; one tightly shut ... hopping around in circles cursing my own idiocy, I managed to pour some into a bowl and dipped the corner of a towel in it  ... bathed the fiery eye.  It worked.  After about a minute I could finally open it and get more milk onto it.... then rinsed it with some eye drops.  It was still plenty hot for about half an hour and totally bloodshot, but at least it didn't feel like somebody was sticking me with a red hot poker anymore.  Mister BV was no help at all.  He said, "wow... did we grow some hot little peppers last summer or what?"  Hmmmmm..

So,  Christmas goodies, then birthday cakes, ...   before you know it... Valentine's Day.... ack ! .... and I wonder why my workout is not enough to "maintain" ?? ..hhhahhahahahh !  oh, boy,   .... roll on spring and more activity or I'll be rolling around like a Pillsbury dough girl.

11 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

OUCH! Those little chillies sure pack a punch! They're the type I grow in a pot....LOVE 'EM! And that chocolate cake looks pretty good too ~ :)

sandy said...

Ohhhhhhh, wow......... glad to hear the milk helped!! My son's a chef, he probably knows about that trick, I'll have to ask him.

Daisy said...

Sorry you got a hurty eye! Do you know what is really good? Chocolate and chili together! My Mommeh got some almonds coated with chili powder than covered with milk chocolate. She said they were delicious! I am Not Allowed to eat chocolate.

Shelly said...

Sorry that you went through all the pain and discomfort just to give me a good tip on "what to do when you get hot stuff in the eyes"
Any kind of chocolate is my favorite, I could taste the mocha...Shelly
The new header pic is just beautiful!

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Vee,

I am back!
You are a riot! LOL
But those little chili peppers are really HOT! How could you forget that you were handling them? OUCH and Double OUCH! Happy that the milk helped.

Hugs

MaryO said...

Ooh, ouch, makes me hurt just to think about it! I'm glad you thought of the mild trick...I don't think I would have. Hope I remember it if I ever need it!
Mmmmmmm, chocolate cake, think I'll go make some brownies!

Sue said...

I know how I feel when I get soap in my eye.....the thought of what you went through is making my stomach hurt!

"He said, "wow... did we grow some hot little peppers last summer or what?"

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when I read this. So typical, no?

That chocolate cake looks yummy, and not what I wanted to see as I'm trying to curtail my chocolate intake! LOL

Hugs

Maria Vaz said...

Hello lovely,
Thanks for thinking of me while digging into that scrumptious chocolate cake, that you baked with love. I will make you bake one when I come over... wish it was soon!
Please wish Mr BV a happy belated birthday, hope he had a great day... but then with a cake like you baked him, who wouldn´t! ;)
Glad to hear you came up with a solution to your burning eye. It must have hurt, bad! I almost felt it, while reading your detailed description of that terrible experience.
Miss ya! Hugs ...

Beedeebabee said...

Oh Vee! I'm so sorry, but I had such a giggle at your expense Your story was so funny! I'm happy your eye is all better, I didn't know the yogurt trick, but I will store that one in the back of my mind, just in case. Mr. Vee's reactions was hysterical...I'm still giggling!
Have a great week Sweetie! Hugs, Paulette

Linda Fleming said...

Eww... your poor eye! That must have burned like hell- poor Vee. Makes my eye cringe just thinking about it. But that chocolate cake looks so yummy.

We were just talking tonight about needing to cut back and start eating lighter. I've got about 6 lbs of winter weight to get off, but Mike has a bit more. We may jhold off on that diet a bit longer because we have another cold wave moving in and will get back down in the 30's a couple of nights this week.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh that chocolate cake looks very naughty but oh so nice. I am glad for once that you don't live close to me or I can see myself making lots of rounds to your house and losing my fight with the flab lol!
Not that I am winning now but I would not have been able to resist your temptations lol!