Thursday, April 2, 2009

still putzing on her....











....at my usual slow and deliberate pace...
she is proud of her legs and takes any opportunity to show them off.

I made her top from strips of a beatuful ribbon that has water coloured flowers on it...lots of fiddling... but, I love that ribbon and this was a perfect chance to use some of it. I've had it years....

Then, found some pretty fabric that went so well with the ribbon...but, it is ...well, let me just say I was describing it to my sister and called it ...creepy.... hahhaha.... when I had meant to say crepe-y....but, then I laughed and said it must be a Freudian slip...or skirt...ahahha...and we were off on a laughing tangent....we're a couple of nuts, but happy in the knowledge. Our Mom used to say all the time...if you aren't worth a laugh, you aren't worth much at all. So, some days we feel pretty darn rich...... lol....

So, for the hem of a skirt that is slippery, slide-y ... and frays like nobody's business.... what to do. I keep mentioning that I don't really know much about sewing...and I don't...but, every so often, I do something that is kinda cool and actually took a while on the machine.... long enough to put me in spasm today... my back hurts! Of course, I really put everything into it when I sew... I have to.

I cut some long, half inch wide slivers of sparkly tulle. Laid them over the bottom of her circle skirt so that 1/4 of an inch was visible on either side.... pinned them carefully so they didn't pucker or bunch... then stitched a nice line of straight stitching all around the skirt. Then,... laid a piece of blue nubbly yarn over the line of stitching...and carefully stitched it on....it gave the bottom of the skirt a bit of visual interest and turned out much better than if I had attempted to hem that stuff. She keeps showing me both sides of the skirt...pretending she is Marilyn in a breeze.... I think she likes it too....














My flowers are still perfect after almost two full weeks... who knew that type of flower lasted so long when the petals look so dainty and fragile... Alstromeria ..I think...

the bag on her head is to help keep her hair out of the way of glue and stitching...

Onward to sleeves and shoe trim.... but, for now... bread to bake. I ran out... ackkk! And, I refuse to eat store bought anymore...now that I know how to bake my own. I love my own bread!

It's a beautiful sunny, bright, blue sky day... even if they are calling for more snow flakes later. Who cares...it is mild; the windows are open...the birdies are singing at the top of their little lungs...a perfect day in my mind.

18 comments:

Guzzisue said...

haven't you got rid of the snowy weather yet?
doll looking good but bag over the head?dangerous?

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Gosh! I wish I looked like that! even with the bag on head! She's beautiful!

Daisy said...

Her outfit looks beautiful! But the best part is your Freudian "slip"! I think this proves you are Jung at heart. Hahahahaha!

ps: Our word verification is "quipsy".

Jennifer Rose said...

her outfit is very pretty :) love your choice of colours :D

Anonymous said...

She looks almost life-like in that first photo! Beautiful! :)

Linda Fleming said...

Woo hoo- those are great legs! I love the way she is sitting. And those darling little shoes look wonderful. I love how you have made her costume- the ribbon you used for her top goes great with the skirt, and what a clever hem.

The back and neck spasms is one of the reasons I gave up making fabric dolls. Just killed me sitting over my sewing machine.

Carla said...

Very pretty legs. I'd show them off too! She is really pretty.

Shashi Nayagam said...

She is turning out gorgeous and her legs are stunning. I too would love to know how you made those dainty looking shoes.
Hope your skies stay bright and blue with sun shining merrily at you.

Unknown said...

She's lovely and if I had legs like that I'd be showing them off, too!

Homemade bread!?! I'm there! :)

Delphine said...

What patience you have Bumble, and you are so girly, I love visiting your blog to remember when I was a little girl with my teddies and dolls! I'm 67 now but 18 in my head -- I know, I know, all old people say that -- trouble is they were telling it how it is!! You never grow too old for toys though!

Maria Vaz said...

Oh Vee, the doll looks fantastic ... I give it 1st prize. You are so very talented! I want to be that elegant ... I've packed on a good few pounds, so I'm feeling far from that.
Take care my friend.

Sue said...

She is coming along beautifully! Get rid of the bag-on-head, and you're cooking!

Anonymous said...

I love her sitting postition and yes she has very elegant hands and knockem down legs, I can tell she will be a beauty once that bag is off her head!!

Serena Lewis said...

She looks lovely and quite demure, Vee. I like your Mum's saying. I had a laugh at myself reading this post because, when I first saw the 'bag' on her head, I was thinking you were in the process of designing some sort of fancy hat for her. lol You are a master at making shoes! I can't wait to see her finished ~ :)

Draffin Bears said...

Wow what wonderful legs and I bet she knows how to use them. like the ZZ Top song goes!
She really is a Marilyn starlet!
I love the dress, so floaty and pretty.

Can't wait to see the big reveal. .

Hugs
Carolyn

sandy said...

She is adorable, I love the way she is sitting. For someone who doesn't know much about sewing you sure do good!

Pauline said...

Wow she is coming on great, looks beautiful and delicate.

Pauline

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

You are doing a great job on the doll. Can't wait to see her all done with the final details. :)