Saturday, February 2, 2008

Avast me hearties!

Look at me lovely sea treasures! Including a bit of pottery, or crockery of some sort...and a polished mussel shell as I've just discovered.










There was a contest at 29 Black Street a few weeks ago. I didn't win. But... I did congratulate the winners even though I was kinda whining while doing so. Poor Susan felt sorry for me, I think. ...and created another award category... most prolific commenter .... uhm... that'd be me. (actually, she and Winnie called it the Miss Congeniality and Avid Commenter category, which she just mentioned in her comment and since it sounded sooo much more elegant than my crude definition...I did want you all to know that. Susan has such a wonderful way with words... ) Sometimes whining does pay off,see? She sent me a beautiful little packet of my very own sea glass... thank you Susan.










All the way from the eastern shores of Canada where she finds and collects them; washed up on what I call "her" beach in a tiny town in Nova Scotia. Who knows what the sea glass is or from whence it came. Ships? Perhaps. Fancy bottles from a sunken vessel? Maybe. A pirate ship? Yes, yes..of course, it could be just unwanted junk tossed overboard... but, when? where? and from what boat or whose vessel? worn so smooth by the pounding of water and sand. Somehow a dainty flower design still perfectly intact.










I love to stir them around in a tiny glass container and marvel at the smoothness of the pieces. Wondering aloud to myself at what they are and how they landed where they did.













Quietly they sit.... relics, antiques, treasures and curiosities..... ..... keeping their secrets.

6 comments:

Darly Dolittle said...

I love sea glass! What a wonderful consolation prize!

C.C. said...

Beautiful post and beautiful pictures! I found some tumbled pottery pieces on a beach in Africa once. Wouldn't it be wonderful to know the stories behind those little treasures?

Susan said...

Hi Vee,

I'm so glad that Winn dreamed up the Miss Congeniality and Avid Commenter prize and we are so happy that you are thrilled with your treasures. That top photo is a beautiful and isn't that polished mussel shell pretty (that was a special addition to only your package).

Thank you for all the hugs and kisses, and the warmth, kindness & caring that you have been sending our way, daily for the last while. I can't express how much it means to us and how much it helps.

xo, Winn & Susan

ps we were only teasing about the whining :)

BumbleVee said...

I must re-write my blog....my description didn't sound nearly as elegant as yours... yes indeed...Miss Congeniality and Avid Commenter ....aaahhhh that sounds soooo much better than prolific blabber... hahahhah .
Thanks Susan and Miss Winnie.. I love my sea glass so much that I am doing another post on it...

Oh, a mussel shell is it? thanks for lett me know...I did wonder what it is. Beautiful lavender colour.....
Be over later to check up on ya....

Vee said...

Oh! Isn't that interesting. I promise you that I didn't read this post before I commented on the one above. Maybe there is something about the way the currents carry this stuff to Nova Scotia's shores.

Vee said...

Oops, not "stuff"...TREASURE!