Sunday, February 3, 2008

continuation with my newfound fascination....

regarding my sea glass treasures. Nothing for it then, but to do a bit of surfing... definite pun intended.

Found several sites ..... beautiful pics and reams of interesting information on sea glass...or sea treasure...or beach glass... some even refer to it as sea trash .... it has soooo many names. But, trash? Hhumpf ! I think NOT. However, .... as we all know........ one man's junk is always another's treasure!! As Linda mentioned to me in her email...... "sea glass is "just" glass, like Diamonds are "just" rocks!








But, who knew this? How lovely.
End of Day glass... tossed into the ocean as slag or junk from glass factories, especially in England...











or, these ... she calls them Mermaid's Emeralds.

I pilfered some of these lovely pics from her site because I wanted to complete this entry today. I did email Linda...and am awaiting her decision. If she decides I should remove them from my blog...so be it. But, I am hopeful that she will let us keep them.









and, this..... apparently this red is becoming very rare. Invented by Anchor Hocking, using copper instead of gold, so that it was more affordable. Was used for Schlitz bottles .....

Beauties, all of them.... now I want to move to the seaside, so I can play in the sand all day, searching for "washed up" treasure.

update:: Linda emailed me bright and early this Monday morning... and says I am welcome to use the pictures of her lovely jewelery and even suggested the diamonds are just rocks angle!
By The Sea Jewelry - Specializing in Genuine Rare Sea Glass
Thank you Linda!

9 comments:

Darly Dolittle said...

OH! tAKE ME WITH YOU PLEASE! Hmmm, your new found love of sea glass has given me an interesting idea on how I can repay your kindness regarding Rufus. (you must check out my blog today). It's all a secret but you will eventually find out. The jewelry is fantastic. I'll hve to go peruse her shop.
Stay warm
Darly

Naturegirl said...

Glass treasure indeed but I just came in by way of Darly and fell in love with your Rufus!! Well now Darlys Rufus! Your work amazes me..those soulfull eyes that you create with these precious teddies! Am I missing something is there a place that you sell these charmers! I love love them as I collect teddies but none as special as yours yet! Your collection
is too cute! :)NG

Linda Fleming said...

All my time spent collecting treasures from the beach, I have never found any sea glass. But there is a shop locally where I can buy it-LOL!

Susan said...

Hi BV, I have lived in this tiny village for 14 years this Feb, 28th and I have been obsessively hunting & collecting sea glass, crockery shards and even for a time I had a thing for those tiny orange yellow periwinkle shells, all the while hoping to find something even more exotic like a prehistoric sharks tooth or washed up sea creature.

In the beginning it was just Em and I, then eventually Jake and Em and finally in 2000 Miss Dixon joined our pack. They would always walk just ahead by themselves doing their les chiens stuff (sniffing and checking things out) and I would walk head down, eyes peeled day after day.

I have large mason jars filled with my treasures, lately I've been especially fond of finding tiny tiny pieces, like little jewels.

I do have enough large pieces that I have considered doing a mosaic beach glass back splash in my kitchen, but as you know me well Vee, that particular project is I think No.82 on an ever growing list of projects.

I'm so glad that you're enjoying your treasure.

love from Nova Scotia, S

BumbleVee said...

Susan...if you do try a backsplash or even just a focal point area... somehow you must glue them all to a fabric or very light board or something first. It would be hell to try to do them individually! But...it could be lovely...especially in a seaside village cottage! Oh, how perfect!

Vee said...

Always love walking a beach looking for these treasures. My best finds were in Halifax.

I love your "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" philosophy. I use that one a lot! LOL! Glad that you got the permission you needed.

C.C. said...

Looks like I'll be "paying it backward" Bumblevee. I had no takers on the "Pay It Forward" challenge! Sorry...but I have a lovely little surprise for you...hmmm...what could it be?! So at some point I will need your address...

BumbleVee said...

naturegirl..... please just email me about the bears if you see this....

vphilion@telus.net

Carole Burant said...

I can see why you're fascinated...that sea glass is just beautiful! Back in the late 1980's I had gone to Vancouver, BC with my mom and my two older brothers who live there had brought us walking along Long Beach on Vancouver Island to try to find sea glass...I was so excited but alas, we didn't find nary a piece!! My oldest brother has quite a few beautiful pieces that he's found throughout the years. xox