Friday, February 8, 2008

My Mom....




















Betty
1924 - 1998















the two of us a few years before the bad news.

Today is the 10th anniversary of the day my Mom died. Saddest day of my life. I still cry about it whenever I damn well feel like it too ....not only today. The first few months after she died was just crying and sleeping... that was about it. Thank goodness for my "Mr." Bumblevee.... he is a pretty special guy.

Mom lived for a year after being diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer; refused to be in a hospice or hospital.. wanted to be at home, so we did what we had to do. I flew more miles that year than I thought possible and lived there almost half of it. The final months I don't even want to think about... but we also packed a lot of visiting and fun into most of the year let me tell you. There were many days of ocean watching through her "spyglass" as she called her binoculars. The ocean was the reason she moved to Victoria. Whales, ships, tiny sail boats, even kayaks.......didn't matter, as long as we were near the water and sea happenings.. or visited the Marina to talk to seals and otters, throw things for the gulls, feed dozens of ducks, or have lunch in the little restaurant. We consigned many a note in a bottle to the "briny" off Lighthouse Point... hoping for somebody to find one and write to us. I definitely inherited her love of the sea. Most of the time, it seems to me she is still living near her beloved ocean. ......smiling at the sun; laughing at the wild waves on a windy day.... taking endless pictures with "her little camera"; just like she did when she was alive.
I still find myself reaching for the phone to call and tell her about something amusing, or to ask for advice, arrange a visit or just to yak. Guess it will always be like this... sometimes she is just not gone at all.....










through her lens.... ...

14 comments:

Judi W. said...

It is obvious that she lives on in your heart! They say that no one is really gone as long as there is someone to remember them. She was beautiful as a young woman and I imagine just as beautiful when she was older, inside and out. Thanks for sharing your memory.

Kelley - a very JunqueyGal! said...

What a loving tribute to your mom. It sounds like she had lived surrounded by what she loved - what a blessing. Hugs. Kelley

Jennie said...

What a lovely tribute. I live near the ocean and love it.
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I know this must have been tough to compose for all to read. What a sweet post in tribute to your mom.

Beautiful pictures too. All the best to you.

Linda Fleming said...

Vee. I don't think we ever get over missing our mothers. My mom loved the ocean, too, and had her ashes scattered in the gulf here where we live. Everytime I go to the beach and swimming I think of her.

Susan said...

I'm so glad Miss Dixon and I could send a little ocean treasure you're way Vee. Arora is beautiful as is your loving post about your Mom. Love from Winn & Susan

Vee said...

I've just been visiting Judy at My Front Porch where she's writing about her mom, too.

Would you believe that my grandmother still says that she misses her mother and her grandparents. Should it be any other way?

I am glad that you treasure your memories.

All Bear by Paula said...

Thinking of you Vee x

tamaraiivana said...

You have writen a loving tribute to your mom,and you made me sad.This August will be 20 years since my mother passed avay,I still can see her face when I close my eyes.

MightyMom said...

me thinks she's sending you some seaglass every now and again.......

BumbleVee said...

... just want to say a big thank you to all for your kind thoughts and your comments on this particular post.

I really appreciate that I did have my Mom as long as I did. Many are not as lucky as we were. I suppose no matter how long we have them...it would still never seem quite long enough.

She was always our number one fan no matter the silliness of our projects...

smilnsigh said...

A lovely tribute to your very loved Mom.

Mari-Nanci

Louise said...

Just discovered this lovely tribute to your mom. I lost my mum to cancer back in 2002 and you sum up in your words exactly how I feel and how my life has been since losing my mum. I am sure like me, you are so thankful for having so many happy memories to remind you of her, which somehow helps to blot out all the pain that cancer can bring. x

FaeryCrafty said...

What a beautiful woman :)