Tuesday, May 19, 2009

..one small donkey's view of the world









I'd like you to meet my friend, Sheaffer. He's a very special little guy...not to mention very funny. I can't remember exactly how I found him...or his blog...but, I did. It was probably just that I got lucky in my "blog hopping" one day. Lucky because it is so funny to read some of his posts that I have tears running down my face.

Have you ever found a blog that just pulls you in and you have to go back to the very beginning to find out how it all began..?. that was Sheaffer's for me. I laughed my head off at some of the posts... and then read them to Mr. BumbleVee and we both cracked up. But, in my backwards scrolling and reading I also discovered that life is not easy for some little donkeys... some of it is pure hell because of miserable, stupid, humans. Honestly, some days I just hate people. No wonder I'm a happy hermit.

Anyway...not to make this a rant, but just to let you know that some folks have donkeys and don't treat them right... same as lots of people have cats and dogs and other pets and don't do right by them either....it happens every day all over the world.

Sheaffer and his woman have been instrumental in efforts on behalf of donkeys in their area... and in particular on behalf of donkeys rescued and now living at Primrose Donkey Sanctuary....

This weekend is Sheaffer's birthday and he is having a big party. With hats, treats, games like pin the butt on the humans..oh, just a minute, I think they decided against that one......and all sorts of fun happenings. If you live anywhere near Mount Albert, Ontario.... why not try to get to it? Pea... Sue... Dolores?... do you live near them? You're all invited. If I lived closer I would be there for sure...I'd love to scratch some mini donkey ears and hobnob with the horse and donkey lovers .... but, it costs as much for me to fly to Ontario as it would to fly to England if you can believe it! so, that's out...

I'll have to rely on the woman to take photos and post them on his blog ... but, I did send a little embassador in my stead.... because there is also a silent auction to raise money for the sanctuary and other donkeys. It was a way I could add some fun and perhaps a little help dollar wise for this special cause even from a distance. Sheaffer's woman found a little "Fauxbearge Egg" as she calls it, for Tuffy to sit in...like a little throne.... hahahha.... too funny. If the auction is an annual event...then next year I will be aware of the timing and have several items ready to go.

Sheaffer has plenty of buddies and "inmates" at his site..... cats, a dog, other equines... all blog fodder for Sheaffer's wit ..... especially his poor woman .... hilarious ...

Perhaps some day you'll have a few extra bucks burning a hole in your wallet ... especially Canadians and Ontarians.. (even Canadian Tire dollars are useful) ... here's a way to help .... and it's not just donkeys either ... the sanctuary has cats, dogs, and pot-bellied pigs too... Sheila does her best for any animal in distress.










Tuffy in his "Fauxbearge" egg.... Sheaffer says he looks like a small, benevolent despot.... oh, I sure hope somebody gets the bidding going and he is able to make some money for Sheila at the sanctuary..... he's only 2 and half inches tall, but he does have a pretty big personality.....

16 comments:

Twiglet said...

My sister and I have just discovered your blog and we just love your bears and dolls. How clever and what patience you have to create such wonderful little characters. We will be back for more - thank you for sharing!

Linda Fleming said...

That blog is charming! I think you posted a link before and that is how I found it. Sheaffer is such an adorable character, and what wonderful work these people are doing.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Tuffy is so cute and I am sure he will raise quite a bit for the worthy cause.

Daisy said...

Shaeffer looks like a real cool little donkey! I wish every cat and dog and goat and bunny and donkey and horse in the whole world were all treated with nothing but respect and kindness. It's good that there are nice people like you who help the cause.

Dolores said...

Thanks for the post. I will let my quiltin' buddy know since she has a sister she visits on Saturdays who lives in Mount Albert.

Jennifer Rose said...

what a great blog :) I never thought about giving Canadian Tire money to charity, thats actually a really good idea :)

Carla said...

Thank you for being so caring. I have to check out the blog.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Vee,

Thank you for telling us about Sheaffer, I will go and take a look.
It is lovely that you have donated your sweet Tuffy ~ so cute.

Lovely that the Primrose Donkey Sanctuary has been set up. We need more people like this to look after and care for animals and give them the love, care and respect they need.

Hugs
Carolyn

Michelle Eaton said...

It is so great what these people are doing to help these poor animals.

I understand where you are coming from when you say you can start to hate ppl with all the bad stuff that happens in the world. I try not to watch the news much anymore cause it just gets me down.

I'm sure your little Tuffy will do well at the auction. He is adorable!

ponymaid said...

BumbleVee, thank you for sharing Tuffy and my blog with your friends here. You are both ambassadors for the kind hearts in this world and it means a lot. We (well, the humans anyway)are baking and planning and tidying and engineering hats. How I wish you could all be here. I will give detailed reports from the centre of the action. I fervently hope Herself doesn't embarrass me more than usual. Someone gave her a sombrero today and that doesn't bode well...

Annie said...

Hi, I'm the afore mentioned sister of twiglet. I really love your site. You really are a very talented lady. I run a home based sewing business but try my hand at just about anything craftwise.
We are pretty new to felting but find it's really therapeutic. Twiglet is more into the picture making with it but I can't stop bear making. They seem to take on such lovely characters of their own when finished. I'm hooked.
I don't blog as I have little spare time but am happy to share sewing tips via email at wipso@toucansurf.com if there is anything I can help with.

MaryO said...

I love Sheaffer's blog! I want to send the link to my daughter as soon as she empties her mailbox so I can. She has a blog for one of her dogs and I know she'll enjoy this one.
Your little bear looks so cute in that "fauxbearge" egg! It was very caring of you to donate it for the auction.

Linda's Blue Gate said...

Oh I love donkeys there are so cute..... there is nothing cuter.....
Thank you so much for your well wishes..
Hugs
Linda

Terra said...

Thank you for sharing the info about the donkey sanctuary. I am going to post the blog address on my own blog.
I hope you cute bear and the auction raise money for the donkeys, pigs, etc. that the lady has rescued.

sandy said...

ohhhh can't wait to find a little time to check out that link.....enjoyed the post.

Terra said...

Tuffy is adorable. Besides blogging about the donkey sanctuary (thanks for the comment) I also tweeted the web address for the sanctuary, so my 1,500 or so followers could go to the site if they are inspired.
I hope a few, or many, make bids, etc.
Are you on twitter? Lots of artists are. Not me, I am a writer.
www.twitter.com/terragarden