Saturday, June 2, 2007

Magical staffs... pixie chairs....











Here is my tiny bit of info regarding Apoxy Sculpt for the "dolling" people. I am not a pro by any means...I just tried it once and now, love to use it for making shoes, boots, staffs, pixie chairs...etc... sky is the limit...it is great for modeling, sculpting and repair work... I am not sure what the taxidermists use it for ..but that is the only place I can find to purchase it. Here is a pair of boots for my "cursed pirate"..oh!! and his bones too! And a well worn shoe for a clown dancer in the Moulin Rouge....

I like to make the shoes before I attach the legs...learned the hard way...it is a wrestling match the other way.




You must have a protector of some sort on your work area (I have a large towel that I spread out) and also a small container of water nearby... you must keep your fingers lightly moist to handle it or it will just be sticking to you! If water drips from your fingers...wipe it up immediately..it is like glue! Sticks really well to anything and everything. As a matter of fact..if you need extra strength or sticking power for something awkward... like, say... a skinny "bit" holding a larger "bit"?.. (the doll people will get it)...lol......just add a bit of Apoxy Sculpt and it will never fall off......whatever "it is.
When I use it for shoes I just begin to apply it directly to the foot of the doll. It sticks to the cloth wonderfully...no need to do anything else. I probably fiddle a lot more than I need to...but I like to add small amounts at a time so that I can control how they grow. You can sand it smooth once it hardens if you need to .... but if I can get a nice smooth finish when I am working with it I prefer that. It is air dry...hardens overnight.... you can paint it wet...or wait til it dries... a wonderful product really. Who likes waiting for things to dry to paint? .. Well, actually? ..me! By the time I have had my neck bent forward for as long as it takes me to apply the amount I need and shape it...I am glad to rest my neck. The next day..if I decide they are not nearly large enough shoes for my doll ( I have a habit of giving all my dolls tiny feet...then I can just add more Apoxy Sculpt over what I have done..it sticks ....no problem. Did I mention that I love this stuff?

This is another shoe I did for a fairy doll ...I wanted to make them look like they had a soft suppleness to them... and paint them in sort of a watercolour look...the trim is a bit of a fancy ribbon...I love how they turned out. Around the top edge I put a very skinny "rope" of Apoxy Sculpt...that was awkward...!! to finish them off nicely. I paint my shoes with acrylic paint and even brush them with a bit of gold shine... a finger dipped in gold acrylic and lightly brushed on strategic areas. This doll was the winner in her category for a challenge. I surgically altered her legs as well as a few other bits and pieces...


6 comments:

Coppermouse Dolls said...

I appreciate that you took the time to write this post. It's is really informative. I have been wanting to try Apoxie sculpt, but after reading your post I definitely want to now.

Happy Dollmaking,
Coppermouse

Yvette said...

I have never tried apoxie sculpt so this was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to write about it.

And WOW those shoes are fabulous!!! I love shoes LOL :o)

BumbleVee said...

I love shoes too...but for my dolls now more than for me. I used to buy shoes...but, really..... where do I go to wear them?... waste of time and money.... LOL...I can buy mohair or doll fabric instead!

Dianne said...

Your dolls are just sooo gorgeous!! I have the apoxie sculpt but haven't used it yet either - thanks for the hints!!

BumbleVee said...

Hi Dianne... sorry I didn't get back to visit this post earlier...tx about my dolls.
Yes.. definitely you must try the Apoxie...bet you will love it once you do!

Shelli said...

How funny. I just received some Apoxy Sculpt I ordered online and am dying to try it out for teddy bear eyelids. I had no idea it could be used in the ways you describe. Very cool!