Monday, March 1, 2010

Photo a Week....

Buttons.  That's the theme for today's photo of the week.

I love buttons... save every one I find.  Clip them dutifully from every new article of clothing...and also all the ones from old or worn out items I cut up for dusting cloths.  I have a bag of them somewhere... and this tray full in the top of my "vintage" sewing basket.  Well, it's old anyway... I hate to say vintage because that sure makes me feel OLD>... it was the one thing I wanted as a Christmas gift when I was a teen ... not exactly sure how old...and Mom got it for me.  I loved it then...still love it...















Anyway ...   back to buttons.  What a great invention!  And the uses!  Who could even begin to list those?  My favourite use for them has to be as faces for little pin dolls.  I use the type you can cover with a scrap of any type or colour of fabric.. then press on the backing and voila...a smooth surface to play with.  I like to try different sizes ... but, the large ones seem to be disappearing.  Can hardly find them anymore ...  except at one shop.
































Another way for me to use traditional smaller buttons is for attaching arms and legs to some of the animals or even the dolls I make.  In fact....I have yet to try attaching doll appendages with buttons...but, maybe some day... for now...it is just bunnies and bears.





































..... and finally ..... these......














Inherited from a 97 year old Dutch lady... who saved every button she ever saw I'm sure...

but, what the heck are they?  And were they bought or salvaged from something?  A uniform perhaps?  Although, I have looked at uniform buttons and they are much more detailed and clear.  Some of these almost look a bit worn on the surface .. there are 11 of them.  (ps... found the other one in the bottom of the bag..there are now 12 of them!)















... and, to me.... the image is almost scary looking... like some demon or devil ... very strange.....















Can't imagine why on earth she would have had these ugly things.  Turned one way and then upside down...still demonic to me..... what do you think? ....                     

10 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Very beautiful doll faces! Those bottom ones are unique. Creepy, but neat!

Serena Lewis said...

Great post, Vee....your pin doll buttons are beautiful! As for those creepy buttons...they make me think of pirates but then, they may be to do with The Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico???

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, I love buttons; these are so cute. I used to make my girls button bracelets.

sandy said...

What a fun post, I enjoyed seeing this!

JudiA said...

Button collecting IS a sickness I say, LOL. I love the delicate feminine faces you draw - sigh... As for those gold buttons, WOW! I have no idea what they are, but holy cow, those are the most intersting buttons I have ever seen.

Annie said...

Ooer buttons. I love buttons of all sorts and dream of the day I get left an old button tin to cherish.
A x

Jennifer Rose said...

those creepy buttons are so cool :D like serena, I think they could have something to do with the day of the dead.

Unknown said...

BUTTONS!!!!

This post takes me back to when I used to play with my mom's button collection, which she had inherited from *her* mom.

The scary ones at the end made me laugh. I have no suggestion but man are they ugly/interesting/a bit disturbing. lol

Shelly said...

This was a great blog on buttons...very enjoyable...I like what you have done with them...Shelly

Anonymous said...

Very creative post for your buttons this week. Love the beautiful faces and yes we need buttons for dolls, I have used them many times. Awesome buttons form the older women and I have been apologizing to everyone for being so late this week on commenting.