Monday, September 29, 2008

Private Elmo ... ...














The past two weeks have seen lots of fruit, veggies and grains being consumed around here. My exercise program is back into full swing with a friend as inspiration. However, she is doing a bootcamp program... but... ohhhhhh.... they are getting up 4:30 a.m. to go and I just can't do that ...... some mornings I am still tossing and turning at 2 or 3 a.m. ... I wouldn't even be awake enough to get to the gym... never mind figure out the exercise routine ... so, I am being my own Sargent Major...and my own firm discipline will push me forward. The weather is still perfect for outside activity.. and when it gets cold... I'll be pounding along on the treadmill. I've enlisted Little Elmo to remind me to eat more fruit... He is sitting on the kitchen table, right under my nose...and who can miss that outfit?














picture perfect sunny, warm days ... some of the bushes are still mostly green .... but, many have now turned all sorts of wonderful fall colours.











Once the bigger trees turn... there are only a few days of beauty and then...down they float...... like so many cornflakes in drifts on the sidewalks and gutters... I love walking in them and kicking them around... yep..just like a kid ... it feels great ..











Today I'm experimenting in the kitchen. I have lots of small Okanagan Coronation grapes and it seems they work just about like blueberries in scones, muffins and cakes. I baked two batches of muffins with them today, but also was trying to see if I could replace some ingredients with more healthy alternatives...and well, ... the result was less than perfect in my book. I just had to pick off one corner and I could tell.... sigh...oh, well, .... into the freezer they go for emergency purposes..... like, when somebody needs a sweetie in his lunch and doesn't really care that they are not top grade. Some days we are that desperate...hahahha ..... tomorrow or the next day, my regular recipe and more grapes. Not wasting them.... and there are plenty for at least another batch and some nibbling too.... okay.... into my shorts and off I go for my 2 + miles.......

4 comments:

Vee said...

I know that I can trust you to tell the absolute truth. When and IF you ever find a delicious something that is more healthful, I hope that you'll share. The muffin does look yummy, though.

What a good trick to get you to remember to eat more fruit. I think I've got a very pink Piglet around here.

Lynda (Granny K) said...

Sounds as if you are doing just great on your new regime - and the muffin looks delicious to me! :o)

Veronica said...

Good luck with the healthy eating routine. 'They' say it takes three weeks to make a new habit dont they? Or was that to break an old one? Anyway, Im sure Private Elmo will help.

I liked peeking out your front door(?) just now and the metaphor of cornflakes made me laugh. They sound like crunching cornflakes too, when you walk on them.

You might have to rip out those petunias and plant some edible crops if the worlds financial problems get any worse. Its pretty scary stuff.

MightyMom said...

gonna make some jam??