Tuesday, September 16, 2008

better than summer days......

What a week! After a few days that got pretty cool....and some nights down to only +4C... with light frost two of those mornings..... I thought it was over for the year. But...often we do have some wonderful weather and can even golf til way into October. A few years ago...very last week in October... we were out there in the sun. On Hallowe'en....we had snow.... hahahha....

Yesterday it was +27C.... and it will be high and mid +20s all this week..... wonderful!!

Got some shrub trimming done in the shady areas of the yard yesterday....forgot my "toys" outside cuz I just sort of quit about supper time and never went back out there.... ... luckily nobody wants to steal things that are related to work.

The yard and pots still look great.....










Fragile, yet sturdy enough to withstand blistering sun and a few nights of frost already... beautiful delicate portulaca still putting out new blooms daily.











A profusion of pale lavender Bacopa.... a must for the pots next year......











fuchsia Million Bells.... lobelia still looking great although the lobelia in other pots...nyehhh...not so hot....











A few snowdrop anemones making attempts at second bloomings this year....











Of course, some things just bloom time and time again don't they?......











The wild geraniums are beginning to change their colours..... soon it will be a mound of pinks, lemon and lime yellows and deep dark burdundys....














There are more blossoms on the pink potentilla this year than I have ever seen... perfect for pressing and flower pounding too.... must add some to my satiny fabric that I began a few weeks ago.











A rogue colour in my yard.... which is usually all shades of pink, purple, blue and lemon yellows.... but, in spite of the fact that I don't particularly like orange.... the past two years...it seems to be growing on me..... the colour that is, not this guy.... he is just passing through; an annual....

4 comments:

Vee said...

The flowers in your garden look so lovely. Mine are beaten to a pulp and I am ready to pitch them without so much as a backward glance. Perhaps once I get some mums, pumpkins, and gourds, I'll be more inclined to actually do it. Until then, the poor posies are abandoned to fend for themselves.

I liked your idea about hanging Christmas baubles on my twiggy branches. Perhaps that way, I don't need to put up a Christmas tree. I'm going to give it serious consideration!

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Such pretty pictures of your flowers. I like how you said the "annual is just passing through." Sweet.
Hugs,
Pam

Anonymous said...

My what beautiful flowers (and weather) you have.

I love cool fall days too.

MightyMom said...

beautiful!

I found a bulb coming up that doesn't usually bloom till early spring! don't know what to do with it!!