Thursday, June 27, 2019

Be careful what you wish for....

After seeing a Blue Jay one day I mentioned that I would like to see a baby jay ....   darn it.  Wish I had never said it out loud.

Two days later I saw this poor little tyke.  All alone in my backyard.  I don't even know how I noticed him because he was not moving...just sitting there very quietly... probably as instructed.  Or as instinct dictated.
Please click on the photo to see his cute little face up close....
































He had no tail really...and, very little in the way of wings... he was too small to fly ..must have fallen and somehow glided or flapped a bit to make it into our yard from a nest nearby...

I then heard an adult Blue Jay and saw what I decided was his Mom on the telephone wires nearby ..calling and waiting til I got the heck out of there.. then she flew down.































He more or less stayed on the blocks near the house and close to some tall grass... but, then..as the day progressed, he got a bit more animated and began to hop around all over the yard.  Over to the chairs, out near the shed..... I was panicked and was worse than his mother... dashing from window to window, worrying about some predator getting him.  I had to be ready to rush out and shoo away Mr. Karma, the prowling neighbourhood cat.  She flew back and forth for hours checking on him and bringing him food and finding little things to feed him from the garden.  She was very attentive and caring.  It was so sweet and yet I felt so sorry for her.
















But, then I went to do the treadmill.... and ...when I looked, later in the day... they were gone.  I didn't know whether to be happy or sad.  He must have hopped out into the alleyway under the fence... oh, I sure hope they both went to a kind neighbour yard...... I didn't really see any Blue Jay activity after that.

Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday.




4 comments:

Rhodesia said...

I hope all is well. It is horrible when you never know. Interesting photos. Have a great weekend, Diane

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Awww - poor wee birdie. I hope he found a safe haven and didn't fall victim to the neighbourhood cat. Probably he fell from the nest - which seems to happen sometimes.

Lin said...

I absolutely hate baby bird season for this reason. As a mom, I worry about those little ones. And I am heartsick when they don't make it.

I have to be positive and say that since you didn't find a dead baby jay...he is most likely off living a good life. I hope so!

Serena Lewis said...

Awww...I do hope they were safe wherever they disappeared to. Like you, I'd have been worrying and fussing too.