Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My donkey sanctuary....

... has a new baby.

Well, of course, it is not actually 'my' sanctuary....but, I love to call it mine because I like to support Sheila and the Primrose Sanctuary (and its many inhabitants).  It is thousands of miles away in eastern Canada.... and we are way out west.... too damn far to offer volunteer help in person, or I'd be there, petting, feeding and cleaning. Instead, I do what I can from my end.















Sheila just sent me a photo of her new little guy Oliver, who is now two months old already! .... ...He who was sort of a surprise (but not really) because of Sally Ann's size...they had suspicions .. and hence part of the reason to rescue her from terrible conditions at an auction a little earlier....



















Sancho Panza..... another resident.... fat and sassy now she says .... always a time for celebration to know one is doing well.

Check out Sheila's blog to see the other animals and to keep up to date on their rescues and how they try to cope with man's inhumanity to animals.... no, it isn't always pretty and as Sheila says...there is always good news and bad.... ....but, thanks to her... some of the suffering is minimized when she gets them to her place.
She has amazing friends, volunteers, vets and farriers who give so much of their time and energy to get the word out and to try to make a difference in the lives of abused and mistreated animals...not just donkeys either as you'll see..

I hope you will take some minutes to go to her blog and to Primrose Donkey Sanctuary page to see what it is all about.

I found Sheila and her small Sanctuary through another little donkey... Sheaffer...who has also become a friend and such a fun read..... he is such a terrific writer!  Of course, along with his fun posts, he also tells us how it really is.. as he likes to keep us apprised of the situation of donkeys in this real, often unfriendly, and sometimes downright ugly world....but, lots of his postings are so hilarious I just laugh out loud when I go there to have a read.  Mr. B.V. makes me read them out loud to him.. and we both crack up.  Been a bit quiet over there lately..but, hopefully more fun is on the way soon.  You can see a photo of Sheaffer on my sidebar.

He lets old Jack have a say on his blog too....as Jack used to live with him before going to the Sanctuary last fall... he needed a warmer place for the winter and loves it at Sheila's.  He has his own temperature controlled bubble if you please!  What an amazing thing for an older donkey... to keep from shivering and losing weight over a vicious winter.  And... as he says on his last chat to Sheaffer  ...i got a lot ta tell ya, i bin so busy i hardly had time fer mi three naps a day. they couldint run this outfit with out me actin as boss donkey an its a good thing i got forty four years of experiunce cos i need all of it mos days.

If you have decided not to waste hard earned dollars on overdoing at the festive season this year....or have decided not to continue with charities that use more than 45% of their donations for "administrative costs" as they put it (cuz we all know what that really means), may I encourage you, instead, to support a sanctuary near you?  Or, send a donation to Sheila at Primrose Sanctuary, in Canada.  Even small amounts go a long way to help with feeding, vet care and electricity ... especially if more of us take the initiative and time to send some.  Every penny sent to Sheila goes toward maintaining her little sanctuary and giving special loving care and even a forever home to older, abused or neglected donkeys as well as several other animals that have since been dumped at, or rescued by, the Sanctuary and its volunteers.  What a special bunch of people they must be.  How I wish I could meet them in person... but, it is more costly to fly to eastern Canada than it is to fly to Europe!  Plus.... it is more beneficial to send loot than it is for me to go there just to hang out.  Although, if they were closer...believe me...I'd be hanging out too.  They need all the help they can get.

okay that's it for me and my little soapbox today..... suffice to say...I love animals and hate that they can't speak for themselves. Even if I don't have any of my own...I work towards better care for them all.

If you want to see more posts regarding Primrose Donkey Sanctuary...check out that label on my sidebar and click on it.... I have done several....

8 comments:

Terra said...

I love reading about the donkeys and seeing their photos. Now you are inspiring me to make a wee donation to the sanctuary.

Unknown said...

Thanks Vee. I just love the new addition...so cute aren't they?
Haven't been to visit the site for a while, will do so tonight when I get home. Off today...lots to do now that I'm feeling better.
Take care. Maa

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

My uncle has a donkey named Dopey-Dope. His best friend is Simon the horse. The donkey's not my Uncles.

Rhissanna said...

Thank you for this. Christmas is a good time to remember those in need and that definitely includes dokeys.

Serena Lewis said...

I love animal posts! I still have the Primrose Donkey Sanctuary link but it's now under the 'Animal Love' page tab on my blog. It's such a good cause so I hope it gets more attention there. It's been a while since I've popped over to Sheaffer's blog...must rectify that.

I will mention the Donkey sanctuary in my next post too. Hope it helps ~ :)

Felted House said...

Thanks so much for your message on my last post, I'm so hoping I'll have a little more time now to catch up with people although there's still tons to do. What a heartwarming photo of Oliver, so sweet. I can't stand it when animals are treated badly, thank goodness there are kind people out there who will care for those who've had such a terrible time. xx

Catherine said...

What a cute little donkey! Hope your weather is behaving it's self. Mine is not! :(
xo Catherine

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow imagine my surprise opening your blog today and seeing a post about a place I pass every time I go to my sisters. This place is absolutely incredible. I love seeing all the donkeys in the field when I drive past. I think your friend is doing an amazing job. I have many photos of the donkeys wandering the hills of Northumberland County. Great post. I hope she gets all the help she needs I have seen lots of neglected animals, not a good thing. We treat our animals like family and you know I have a lot of them. Great post. B