Monday, November 28, 2011

It was wild around here yesterday!

The morning was beautiful... it was already +13C by 10:00 a.m.... sipping second coffee and considering going for a nice walk.  Then.... it got breezy... then it got really windy... and in less than half an hour..it was wild outside!  Gusting to 130kph by afternoon....and creating total havoc in the city.
Luckily our immediate area .. at least what I can see from my windows ... was spared, but, believe me, I was worried that at any moment some of the huge fir or spruce or even the gargantuan old poplar across the street would come down.

I thought about baking..but only for about an hour...then the power went out.  I had already given up using the computer... it blew off earlier.... the surge protector puts it off even with a spike in power.  The tv was next to go and then the whole house electricity.  It came and went for hours.... my poor old chest freezer...I wondered if this might be the straw that would finish 'him' off.  But, no.... after lots of chugging and lugging... later in the evening... back to normal.

When I checked the computer before going to bed....wow!  The damage was unbelievable.  Air traffic must have been totally backed up too... I knew no planes would chance it...well, actually one Lufthansa guy did and there is a video of him..... sideways just before landing... somehow the pilot pulled it off.  Always somebody with a camera out and about ...even in gale force winds!  Idiots really.... as there were trucks and cars flipping over on the roads, huge trees and power poles falling and trailing 'hot' wires .....
Not safe to be driving or walking.. and for sure not flying!  In spite of the amount of time and speed of the winds...and the damage especially to the downtown area and huge building and large windows being shattered...there were only reports of a couple of injuries!  Wow.... again.....

People waiting for extra buses this morning...no regular transit service... looks like hundreds if not thousands were late for work....















a lot of flying debris from buildings under construction....

windows blew out and also debris from building under construction blew off and smashed some office and apartment block windows out....

tree fell on this house













just outside the city....

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh ~ you really did get it didn't you! It was actually quite nice here today ~ not that I was outside but I know the wind was not blowing and we have hardly any snow left. It's supposed to snow again on Wednesday. I hope we don't get that wind. That's down right dangerous when it's like that!

Keep safe my friend!
xo Catherine

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Vee,
Wow that is unbelievable! Hope your home didn't suffer any damages. Keep safe my friend.
Hugs

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

WOW! Ware did that come from, arfter such a nice start to the day?!! I am glad yu dident go for a long walk an get cort in it. I am glad yu ar safe an also that yor compewter was ok so we can still talk to yu!!!!

I hope it stayd kwyert so yu could sleep. Mind yu, I like to lie awake an lissen to the wind. Hehehe that sownds a bit rood! Yeah, if Grayum is in the bed, it is windy! Hehehe!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I just heard about it this afternoon. Wowzer. We are supposed to be getting a huge amount of rain tomorrow so I'm staying close to home:)

Maria Vaz said...

What the ....! That must have been one heck of a blow! I inicially saw it on the the cbc blog news and was just taken back by the pictures of the damage in the downtown area. I´m so glad that you didn´t get affected by it. Did that spook Greg, being downtown at that time? Stay safe. Hugs

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh my it does look a lot of damage has happened. Thank goodness you were ok and no one was injured seriously. Yes mad to go out on a day like that. But then who would have thought that a start to lovely day would turn out like that. If it was me I wouldn't bother going into work the next day either. One would probably be so late that it would be time to come back by the time they got to office.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow I am so glad you are OK. That was quite the storm. Take care. B

Jennifer Rose said...

o.0
yeah i dont miss the wind storms at all!

Unknown said...

Good thing you were tucked up and safe at home. That looks like it was one mighty storm. Maa

Denny said...

Wow,thats a shocker of a storm you had there.My town here is known for its very windy weather coming into summer time.We get a lot of fences down,tree's down as well.Its why a lot of kite surfers love coming here as we have the best weather for the sport.