Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday

Bohemian Waxwings!!

These are actually from last February.  I just saw a huge flock of them last week, but they didn't come to roost in the Poplar tree across the street as usual.  They were checking for the little Mountain Ash tree they came for last year, but alas...it is no more.   It was broken in a wind storm and the owners had it removed.  However, the birds must have found another down the block as I could hear them and see them moving around..and then..poof, as they do....... they were gone in a flash.

Last year I heard them twittering...hundreds if not thousands of them in the poplar...grabbed my camera and dashed across the street to try for a few photos.  I was standing not far from the little berry tree and they flew past so close to my head I couldn't believe it... almost felt the wings beside my ears... I had goose bumps after the first few almost touched me.  It was amazing.

They kept coming and going in groups of twenty or thirty to the little tree...grabbed a berry or two and off they went back to the huge poplar with their buddies.  Then, another group flew down...and, back they went again.  They kept it up for about 20 minutes... by which time they had totally denuded the little Mountain Ash tree and suddenly, just ...gone @!  So quickly .. in one huge flock...up and sideways they went.  Then...total silence.  Like they were never there at all.  Except for the mess.  Berries and twigs and bits all over the snow... under the little tree and under the big one as well.

I got a few great photos...

so, today I share with you "the Bohemians"....  click on any pic to see it larger.















They hang upside down as easily as they do right side up it seems.... and they all did it in order to get at the best berries.



























































Check out other birdies at Stewart's site...click on the pic below to be transported there.... 





8 comments:

Inspired By June said...

Wonderful! We have Cedar Waxwings here. They come through about once a year - always a treat!

Kaya said...

I have never seen these birds, they are so beautiful!
I enjoyed looking at these wonderful photos.

This N That said...

Great pictures..Not familiar with this bird..I've heard of them but never saw one,,

Mary Ann Tate said...

Great pictures:) We get waxwings every so often en route to somewhere or other. They come in a big noisy bunch,stay for a day or two and then go.

A Colorful World said...

How exciting! And some really fantastic photos! What a great experience.

Lin said...

I've had cedar waxwings...but very infrequently. Beautiful birds! I loved your photos!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've only ever seen them once in my life and they were exactly like you describe - so quick to come and suddenly gone, not to be seen again. Beautiful little birds (and your photos are wonderful!).

NatureFootstep said...

lol, I thought that in your part of the world it was the Cedar waxwings???

I spotted the first ones of Bohemians this week. First time this winter :) Love them. Only a group of app 15 birds.