Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday

Northern Flickers today.   I've had them on here before ...but, hey.... I only get so many birds to the feeder and in the yard and I'll be darned if I want to go looking for them elsewhere when it is -20C... although, today the sun is shining....so it seems pretty nice even if it is cold.

These are from a few days back...

These two didn't seem to mind sharing, although it rarely happens.  If another one shows up when one is already on the suet cage... the first guy usually flies off.   Maybe they are buddies ... I wish there was a way to tell the difference between all the birds.  I don't know if many come once or twice or if a few hang out here all the time... all I know is there are several different males and females flying in and out during any given day.   They love the bug and peanut butter suet....
Click on any photo to see them up close and personal....















Waiting for a turn on the suet ... with all the sparrows that litter the wall and trees.....













They love the heated bird bath and water.... it gets a thick icy ring around the edge...but, that doesn't bother them... and I knock it off daily.
I love this picture.

















The sparrows wanted to be in on the photo shoot too....
A little fuzzy as it was through the blinds in the window....













Check out other birds on Stewart's site....

Click on the badge below...


7 comments:

Kaya said...

Beautiful birds. I have never seen them before. And sparrows always were my favorites.
I enjoy your photographs very much!!!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Nice pics of the Flicker. Sure wish I had them stop at my feeders.

A Colorful World said...

My flickers do the same thing! Even if a scrub jay or magpie comes, off they go! They are also very wary of my movement in the house, getting my camera, so I am always very happy to get a few photos when I can! They are fun to have as visitors...enjoyed your post!

Stewart M said...

Nice birds - why go to the birds, when the birds come to you!

Glad you enjoyed Green

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

NatureFootstep said...

I have not seen them but I love them anyway. The flickers :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never seen a flicker near our feeder - and actually don't suppose I've seen one any more than a couple of times in my life.

Gwen Buchanan said...

You are the Lucky one.. and Johnney on the spot too to capture these great photos.. I have never had a Flicker come to my feeders.. They are often in the woods and around the property but never at the feeder.. and I really have not seen too many in the winter now that I think about it. Love seeing them sitting still at your place