Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Bobcats

One day in late fall, we were cleaning windows when I spied a bobcat strolling along across the street.  Looked like he owned the whole street, and, in particular, a couple of neighbour's yards, the way he was strolling through all of them on his way to who knew where.

Well, next day I saw it again..this time with a full grown bunny in its mouth.  The thing was about the size of the cat... dragging on the ground... 

I watched it go around the back of the neighbour's house and so I emailed her to let her know...in case she came out and was face to face with it eating its prey. 

She wrote back to say.... 'it is a Mommy and she has two babies in the backyard'.  'That is their lunch'.  She asked if I wanted to go over and we could look out a basement window to see them.  YES please!!

Off I trotted with my camera.

Here are some of my photos of that day.... those babies were so darn cute I wanted to go out and pet them.... but, Momma was nearby cleaning herself at the fish pond... not a good idea.

The first glimpse of it carrying something...didn't yet know what.  If you are a bit squeamish, don't look at the second photo.  And, if you want to see closer....click on the photos.
















I couldn't believe the size of the rabbit compared to the cat... it was pretty darn big.   Poor bunny.  Neighbourhood cats, BEWARE>














Then, I got some pictures of the babies through the neighbour's basement window....awwwwwwww......... how cute are they?













Honestly, I just wanted to bring one home.  Fairly big babies ... but babies nonetheless... just lazing out after a nice dinner and sort of seeing some movement from us, but not concerned.













Mommy, tidying up after the messiness of feeding the kids.
















7 comments:

Twiglet said...

Lovely photos Vee - isn't nature brilliant. xx Jo

Mary Ann Tate said...

Good grief. I only see the odd fox trotting down the road. Fabulous pictures.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh my goodness -what amazing photos!!!!! So incredibly fortunate to be able to see the family up close - something you will remember forever.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

How lovely. You were honoured to see this beautiful family up so close. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Stewart M said...

Wow! That would be so good to see! I mentioned on another blog that I have never seen a real wild cat of any type (feral ones yes, real wild ones, no). Very jealous.

Cheers - Stewart M

Lin said...

It's nature...ugly or cute as that may be. Good idea to alert the neighbors. I'm sure no dogs are safe either. Predators can't distinguish rabbits from mice from dogs to cats...they just need to eat.

Those babies are beautiful!! What a treat to see them. I am not sure I would want them in my yard though...YIKES!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Wow amazing to see something like this so close