Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A page..

I cut up my fabric that I've been playing with ....and decided to make an opening on my page to display a portion of it.  It will serve to remind me of what I did with this particular piece... how I stitched it ... how I manipulated the bits of lace and silk... the actual stitches I used...




















In this particular case..it will also serve as a reminder never to stitch a piece directly onto my page!!  Wow!  What a tricky thing to try.  Why didn't I just use double sided tape like everybody else?  Oh, no..not moi.... I figured it might be just as easy to stitch it onto the paper.  Wrong!   the down stitches were just fine, but the ones coming back up again?  from beneath paper and several layers of fabric? ... arrrgghhh!  I couldn't see the holes even when I held the page up to a bright light... and ended up having to poke a needle through each hole from the topside... guide my sewing needle to the exact spot and withdraw the top needle and carefully poke up with the stitching needle.  As you can guess ... the air was particularly blue at several points during my ordeal.  And, yes, it was a bit of an ordeal.  Next time...play with paper stitching and just enjoy it ... .. tack on fabric later...

















Oh, and... I also did the unthinkable.  Stabbed my finger a good one and bled on the paper before I even realized it.  Luckily, I also licked the bloody area immediately...  and then had to lick again because it just smeared... ... and then, luckily ... I was able to blot it off easily with paper towel.  Whew.
Saved the page after I had worked so diligently with my stitching...

I was having some fun with FME also... onto a gauzy square with a few little embroidered flowers on it.  I'm not sure what it is ...perhaps a table protector of some sort... too big for a hanky ...  not really a doily... too small for a scarf...... Maggi found it for me...

I love how the FME looks on it...I'll try a bit more and try for better photos of it...  I cut a bit of it and added it to this smaller piece of the fabric...


6 comments:

Twiglet said...

I love the way your work is developing V. AND I think the little insert into your page is perfect - well worth the hard work and blood, sweat and tears! x Jo

Dolores said...

What, pray tell, is FME?
Love the pieces and I do feel for you in the stabbing of paper. BTW, we often bleed on the quilts we work on but the band aids are close at hand and so is the spit.
Question:Is that dreadlocks on the little bear in your header photo?

Mary Ann Tate said...

Ouchie for the finger...:( Very very pretty work....love it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You're a brave, brave woman to tackle stitching on paper. The result was SO worth it (bloodletting and all).

Susan said...

A good save of the bleeding on the paper Vee. You certainly put your all into your work :D)

Karen said...

your cloth will always be grateful that you stitched and didn't use tape!! More beautiful work!!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/