Monday, June 27, 2011

The diva ...

Finally, ... she makes her appearance.  All the others have bloomed and gone... she's been waiting them out I'm sure.  I thought the buds looked a bit strange and almost thought they were going to rot on the stem... so much rain here and not enough sun.  Nothing was happening ...and the outer covering just seemed to be getting brown... but, out they burst today... well, only one so far, ...  there are 3 other buds .... and, ohhhh...man...  was she worth the wait!

Please meet Beverly Sills... named for the famous coloratura soprano.  She really is an amazon next to any of the other iris in my garden.   She's beautiful, pink, and frilly......  I had seen and heard about this iris, but hadn't seen one in person.  It took me two years to find one.  It was late in the year...she had no flowers when I planted her... ... I was just going by the little picture on the identification tag and hoping for the best.  She is just as lovely as depicted and very near the colour even though I know one should never rely on an artist rendition...but, I was hoping... .... and it didn't disappoint.





























5 comments:

Unknown said...

Vee...that is one pretty colour. A garden mass planted with them would look stunning. Maa

Unknown said...

Oh so beautiful, definately worth the wait!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Beverly is lovely. B

Susan said...

Simply gorgeous :D)

Louise said...

I've clicked on to biggify! This Iris is so beautiful. x