Thursday, December 9, 2010

playing with clay

Finally I'm getting around to making some arms and legs for my funny little dolly I began waaaay back... can't even rermember when...

She is my take on Black Eyed Suzi's well known dolls...

Having made only a few things using paper clay, it is mostly still a learning experience.  The head and face seemed a lot easier than the spindly legs and arms.

I used a piece of wire wrapped with tin foil to give it a bit of shape and something to begin to attach clay.  It sure is a fiddly job...and they look pretty rustic so far...but, it is a start and should be easier to add more clay when dried... then some sanding and shaping and hopefully...a "voila" !  moment.

 I'll keep you posted Dear Diary.... lol....






































I'm not sure about sizes.... I'm just a hit and miss kinda gal most of the time.  It's why it takes me soooo long to do everything.
I made the tiny foot first, but then thought it looked a tad small for the body and the length of the leg.  So... second leg is larger overall.  Today I'll place all the limbs near the body and check for size...then... make a second leg ...  in what I deem to be an appropriate size for her.

Not to worry about all the lumpiness... when I add more clay... it can all be smoothed over... and don't forget...sanding.  One thing about this clay...it sands wonderfully... and easily.















How do you like my ingenious drying rack? hahahhah......

I'll have to move things around today...I need to use that mixer....

8 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Oooohhhh! How macabre hanging there like that in your kitchen....or should I say in the body shop;-)

Catherine said...

Oh my goodness ~ those limbs caught me off guard a little bit hanging there before I read your post ~ haha!

xo Catherine

Abi said...

LOL - I lobe your drying gadget - but since I like everything done yesterday, I shove mine in the oven!
Looking forward to seeing what's next :O)

Abi said...

Lobe = Love!

Beedeebabee said...

Oh Vee, your doll is turning out just beautifully! I LOVE her face and her limbs are shaping up quite nicely. Like your drying rack! Your are so, so talented!!!...I really loved the comment you left me about your Christmas. You've got the right idea, Vee, that's for sure! I'm already totally frazzled! xoxo Paulette

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hey!!! It works ,don't it? LOL...
Got your card yesterday.What a beautiful one it is too.
And if I was with you now you could be showing me how to make this paper clay doll, while sipping on a warm brew with you.
You are so right,we could come up with some awesome ideas.Our hubby's will want to get rid of us for sure...LOL.
I cannot wait to see your hit and miss doll when it is done. Thats another thing we have in common, Thats the same way I create, hit and miss. Thats the best way,don't you think? Well Dear will go and I will see you in bloggland soon.
You take care and Merry Christmas from the States,
XXOO Marie Antionette

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Oh Vee,

You are turning into a Mad Scientist with all those limbs hanging of all places in the kitchen! LOL
The dolls face is lovely! Can't wait to see her all done.

Hugs

Serena Lewis said...

It does look quite macabre with limbs hanging about like that...hehehe Clever idea for a drying rack! I'm already looking forward to the next instalment. :)