Thursday, October 4, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday


I got lucky ...   

I never get pics of Blue Jays … people say they are brave, cheeky and all of that…but, I have not found it to be so.  Around here …they just land …squeak, see what is around, and fly off….
So, yesterday when I was trying to clean over a foot of snow off the patio wall and make a trail in there so I could get to the feeders…one flew by.  I set out some mixed nuts that I buy for the bigger birds and tried to lure him back.


He did come back. But, grabbed a nut at lightning speed and was gone!  Dammit.  Missed him.  

So, I went in and sat by the window.. with the blind up a crack so I could get a clear photo.  He flew back about 15 minutes later… grabbed another nut at warp speed and …poof…gone again.  Nuts!!  Literally.  I wasn’t quick enough. 

I waited.  And, waited.  About 10 minutes later, he showed again… this time I actually was ready and got a few shots..but just not as good as I wanted.  I hoped he would come again.  He did ..about another 5 later… this time I got one or two ..and off he went again.  The last time he showed up … he hopped around… looked right at me and hung out long enough to pose for me … the little bugger!  Taunting me…I know it.  He made me use up the better part of an hour hoping for his return.  Hhmppf….. 

But, he is a beauty.  Well, I say ‘he’, but it could just as easily be a ‘she’ couldn’t it?  How do you know with Blue Jays? ….



























We had a huge snowfall... about 16 inches at our place.... the snow was this deep on top of the patio wall too..so I cleaned it off to let them have a place to sit.
It is too early for this much snow... all the tree branches were drooping from the weight of the snow on leaves that haven't even fallen off yet.  A disaster for many trees....
The guy was supposed to come and blow out the sprinkler system.... not for how long now I wonder?  It will take days for this much snow to melt..... and more is forecast for next week.  Darn it.














9 comments:

Rhodesia said...

Oh wow that snow makes me shudder so early in the year. Great photos of the Blue Jay. Have a fab weekend, Diane

Mary Ann Tate said...

SNOW!!! Eeeek. We usually get the first fall in November. We get Blue Jays year round. I never see them just hear them:)

Lin said...

Omg...that is a LOT Of snow...and so early! I'm just not ready yet. Neither is my garden. We still have leaves and warm temps.

I like blue jays. A lot of people don't like them, but they warn all the other birds of predators...so I guess they are good birds to have around. We feed ours nuts too.

This N That said...

Lovely picture of the Bluejay. I remember about eight years back we had a snow like that in early fall. It broke lots of tree branches but was gone the next day because it was still not cold. I am looking forward to snow.. It was a pretty miserable summer. We are still in the 80s. We should be in the 60s! Have a good weekend.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'd be using stronger language than 'darn it' over the advent of the dreaded snow! Not something I ever look forward to. You got great pictures of the bluejay. We've had one (or maybe more than one?) visiting our feeder but of course I can't get pictures through the screens. If it's like past years they will come for a short time and then disappear over the middle of the winter and then return again in the spring for another short visit. They come all winter to the feeder my friend has and we use the exact same food so I don't know why they don't keep coming here.

Shashi Nayagam said...

You really got a good shot of him. Now that he knows nuts are in the offering he might come back more often. Wow to have so much of snow! We are having still warm weather for this time of the year. Every year the weather system seems to be topsy turvy.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I'm soooo glad I don't live at your end of the country. We were in the 20's for the last three days. Sadly, now the temperature is due to drop. But Thank God, no snow.

BeadedTail said...

Great photos of the blue jay! I think those kind of blue jays are so pretty! We have scrub jays and they're not pretty and also are super loud and messy. As for the snow, where'd fall go? Thankfully no snow here but so many of our friends are getting it. Gonna be an interesting winter!

Stewart M said...

What great birds! I was snowed on for the first time in a number of years this - but not in Australia!

Sorry for the late reply, been on the road with work.

Cheers - Stewart M - Bath, UK