Thursday, April 19, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday

Finally, a Blue Jay came and hung out long enough for me to get a photo or two... yes, I have managed to get one or two in the past...but with great difficulty.

"They" (whoever they are) say that Jays are notoriously cheeky and fearless and brave and all the rest of it ...but, in my experience...they are skittish, nervous and don't stand still long enough for anybody to get a good picture of them.  Well, by anybody, of course I mean me.  It's ridiculous.  I read all the time about how everybody has them all over the place and can get close to them and they all have great photos to show and everything ...not me.  Not around here.

But, today I have a some to show you...and, I'm pretty darned happy with them.  This morning I saw two of them looking around in the Korean Lilac and, decided they were trying to break off tiny twigs... must be building a nest nearby.  Man, this is popular nesting territory ... and, not for all the good and pretty birds either.

Mr. and Mrs. Limpy have been dive bombed by a little, scary hawk the past few days every time they try to get onto our patio.  The hawk must have a nest nearby and is just protecting it...I can't see it wanting to kill a great big crow....they are smaller than the crow for heaven's sake.  Must just be a crazy "Mother-to-Be"... you know how they can get.  Size matters not.

I have no clue if this jay is male or female...all I know is.... it is beautiful.

















Almost like it was posing it hopped off the top of the bird feeder pole and onto the snowy wall.  Turned the other side.... so cute...

















And, then... much to my delight and surprise ...turned directly to look at me!



















Click on any photo to enlarge and see him closer ...and, head over to Stewarts blog to see tons more lovely birds and some really great photography... some of those guys.... wow.....

Click on this to go there ...







8 comments:

sandy said...

Nice to see your blue jay in snow! We don't have blue jays but in the same family we have Stellars' jays and Scrub jays. In fact, I just now posted scrub jays on my blog. I love your banner. You have a way with dolls - it's beautiful.

This N That said...

Glad you finally got a Bluejay..... Lsee them around here pretty often. I haven't tried to take pictures of them lately.. I have trouble with Wrens and especially chickadees ... Love your header...

Linda said...

Nice blue jays! Glad they let you take the pictures.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Your blue jays are beautiful. The ones we have here are not very beautiful and i am told that they raid nests of small birds. It is nature i know but all the same they don’t endear me.😀

Shashi Nayagam said...

By the way the blog header is lovely and I always wonder why you dont make your beautiful dolls anymore

Twiglet said...

Lovely photos - a stunning bird. We have jays but ours are dusky peachy colour - member of the crow family. x Jo

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Blue jays are one of the most colourful birds - and I'm with you in not being able to get pictures. They are always so skittish and take off at the slightest movement. Your pictures are great!

Stewart M said...

Wonderful looking bird. My wife - who was in New York last week - saw some of these and sent me some pictures. I was not in the least jealous!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne