Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Wild Bird Wednesday

Last week I was going to post my photos of 'plain but pretty' House Sparrows as some other bird photographer called them.

Then I saw Brian King's images of House Sparrows and man... they were so beautiful.... I thought...hmmm....    I dunno.... mine are not that great in comparison.

But, then I thought....Hey !! just a darn minute..... this is not a competition..... it is just fun.

It's lots of fun just seeing other peoples amazing, beautiful, interesting, or just plain funny birds.  I used to laugh out loud at Dave's photos.  He used to post the butts of birds... as a matter of fact...that is the name of his blog... Birds from Behind  .....   ... as that is mostly what we get trying to take photos of birds anyway.  They jump out of the frame at the least opportune time.  Sometimes we get a wing... a part of a foot...a butt....sometimes we get lucky on a first 'click'...sometimes you never get what you are trying for..... you get the idea.

Anyway... after all of that...I give you my lovely little House Sparrows.   My sister and I have decided they are kinda like us.  Our Dad used to tell us we were "homely"... miserable old shit.... our Mom used to tell us he meant "homey" to try to make us think he wasn't just rude.  It's okay... maybe we are sort of middle of the road looking;  even if one of his 3 girls was runner up to Miss Dominion of Canada one year ... .. feisty and fun .... and, on a good day, sort of cute.   I'll take that.

Click on any photo to see it larger ...



Female House Sparrow

Male House Sparrow

Female House Sparrow


Male House Sparrow


Female House Sparrow

Female House Sparrow

So cute... looking right at me and demanding I take her 'best side' ....



Linking up to Stewart's blog at Paying Ready Attention  .... where there are lots of lovely birdies to see ...





13 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Don't know how sparrows got the rap of being 'plain' - I think they're sweet. Oddly enough we never have seen one at our feeder and the only thing I can think of is that they don't like to be up high (we're on the 3rd floor). Really wish they would come for visits though.

Kaya said...

I like so much your House Sparrows. They are so lovely.
Male House Sparrow is more colorful and she isn't but wonderful.
You inspired me to look for these lovely birds.

Lin said...

There is beauty in everything...even spiders, I imagine...it is all in how we look at it and how closely. I like the sparrows!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Nice picture of birds. Wish i could take half as nice as yours.

A Colorful World said...

Your sparrows are lovely! I took tons of photos of them when we lived in Tucson but don't see them as much here in Central OR.

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Lovely captures of the Sparrow. The Sparrow is a bird I also like to take photos of.

Twiglet said...

House sparrows used to be so common here - now I hardly ever see one. x Jo

Ida said...

These are such sweet looking birds.

Latane Barton said...

Your sparrows are just lovely.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your sparrow photos are beautiful. Lovely series of photos.
Enjoy your day!

sandy said...

wow, so good to see your name on my comments! Must put your link in my sidebar. Feels like years ago. I think it was. I lost contact with many of my early blogger people on my list.

Karen said...

hello Mrs Serial Renovator lol. Seriously...I hope things settle down for you soon.
Beautiful images here for a Sunday morning...thank you!

Stewart M said...

I have a real soft spot for sparrows. Although they are not native to Australia they were brought here by early settlers - when I hear them its the sound of summer afternoons in my back garden as a kid.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne